Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, May 2, 2005.

1. im making a 34 inch scale neck (pretty standard fender j size) and i am about ready to put in a truss rod. this is my first neck so i am trying to keep it on the simple side. i was thinking dual action truss rod because the slot can be square. im not sure how long the slot should be. also should i use stiffening rods in the neck? i am going for a fairly thin neck. i would rather have the adjustment on the body end of the neck for the truss rod. im just not really sure how to do this.

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    First, can I assume you're making a Bolt on? or are you doing something slightly more elaborate?

either way: yes Both Stewart McDonald and Luthier Mercentile international have two-way truss rods that are pretty simple to install. you only need to make the slot as long as you need to fit the rod into it comfortably, and you only need to open the end up enough so that you can actually adjust it. on any neck that is adjusted at the base, that will need to (obviously) be beyond the end of the fretboard. beyond that, two-ways are prettymuch idiot proof or atleast amature proof.
    (i'm evidence)

Normally this is easier to do when the neck is almost just the raw wood with no cutting or shaping done, but it's a learning curve. there's always next time :D

Graphite rods IMO are just more work, unless you really feel that the neck isn't strong enough. How's the neck built? I normally laminate three peices of maple on their side, and in my latest endevor, it was strong enough that i probably didn't even need the truss rod I put in it.

tell me how it comes along or if you need more help.