Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, Nov 11, 2005.

1. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi,

I bought a used bass and I have so far been happy with it. The action was a little high and the strings were 40's, so when I had a break in the gig schedule, I took it in to a dealer for a setup. I told him to put 45's instead of 40's.

I got a call a week later to tell me it was done, and the guy mentioned that, with 45's, the truss rod couldn't be turned anymore, and even now there is still a slight bow in it.

I've never had a truss rod problem before. I can try living with 40's; that doesn't really bother me. But if the truss rod is turned all the way, does that mean that this bass is nearing the end of its life? Is it salvageable?

Thanks!
    Tom

2. No, it means you ran out of threads on the trussrod. Not usually a big problem, as you can slide a washer betwen the truss anchor and the adjustment nut and get a couple more turns out of it, most likely enough to get the relief to your satisfaction.

3. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great news. I'll take it to a better tech this time, then. The sound and feel of the bass is just great, so I'm glad to know it has a lot of life left in it.

Thanks!