truss rod repair in South East/South Central PA

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by heatheroo1, Mar 16, 2018.

1. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    Are there any repair shops in the SE PA area that has a Stew Mac truss rod rescue kit? The end of my '77 T-Bird truss rod snapped off. My local repair shop ordered the rescue kit but is being told they are out of stock/no longer available and it may be a month or more before they are available again.

2. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    Well............I couldn't find anyone in the area to repair my broken truss rod. Soo.....on Friday at 0' dark thirty, I am heading from PA to OH to have Dan Erlewine take a look at it and hopefully repair it.

Wish me luck.

Joshua and charlie monroe like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pretty sure if Dan Erlewine is involved you won't require any luck.

mesaplayer83 and Joshua like this.
  4. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I agree - can't go wrong there... Frankly, with an instrument of that value, I think you're better off going this route than having someone use the Stewmac kit, even if it was available...

5. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    I am back after a 800 mile 1 day round trip. Dan was able to get the truss rood functional again but even with that, he couldn't get the neck to straighten out as much as he wanted. The neck is just so thin and the rod fatigued that he didn't want to put any more stress on it. So after working on it for a a few hours, he sent me on my way...NO CHARGE.

Now that I am home: the neck intonates at the 12th fret. There is no fret buzz. Yea, the neck is bowed and a little twisted............but it's playable. The thought of playing something different after 40 years was pretty depressing, so I am a happy camper.

Major thanks to Dan Erlewine and his staff.

mesaplayer83 and 7dollarbologna like this.
  6. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    Update - by October of last year, the neck was so bowed and twisted it was essentially unplayable. I unstrung it, made a jig, forced it into a back bow and left it that way. With spring approaching, I am going to wait until the humidity comes up and then see if there is any available adjustment in the repaired truss rod. Anyone have any tips?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021