1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss rod repair/replace

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zapp, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    on a J bass neck, is it a hard job to repair a truss rod that has gone non-functional? what's the luthier charge for something like that? I don't know whether it was installed wrong, stripped, or simply lost its nut... so to speak

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    What actually are the symptoms? Does the truss rod do absolutely nothing at all? Or does it simply not do enough? Is this on a brand new instrument? Old instrument? Did you just get this instrument or have you had it for a while?

The more info you provide, the more accurate advice you'll receive.

3. You indicated that you were not sure if there was a nut installed. So, I guess you have not attempted any adjustment? I really don't understand your situation.
    Rocky

4. Hi.

Yep, more info needed.

Generally, a BO neck TR is very rarely swapped or repaired, the cost of doing so is probhivitive.

Being easily swapped if defective was Leo's primary reasons for going to the BO route despite the very strong opposition.

Regards
    Sam

5. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I deeply apologize guys. lots of unplanned interruptions. You're right on all counts, not enough known, and in that case its prohibitive. I happen to live near the #1 luthier in texas and we're friends, he said the same. "when in doubt, walk". thats what I'm doin'

6. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    ebay. new neck. its my answer to everything.