1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss rod repair/replacement questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mesaplayer83, Sep 24, 2017.

1. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I picked up an MIJ Fender Mustang Bass reissue(maple neck/rosewood board) that has a trussrod issue - it looks like the trussrod has broken loose from it's anchor up by the nut, and is spinning... Other than that, the rest of the bass is pretty nice - and I got it pretty cheap, so I don't mind putting some money into it... What are my options here?

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I believe you would have to remove the board and replace the rod.

3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I figured that - any recommendations on where to have something like that done, and costs?

4. Probably cheaper to buy a new neck.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, the standard repair would be to mill off the fingerboard, replace the truss rod, new fingerboard, new frets. It all can be done, but it's going to cost a couple hundred bucks. What's the neck worth?

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I'd be willing to put up to $300 into it

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I saw a luthier that had pics on his site where the first fret was removed and the board was sawn through to the maple and that section of Board removed using heat and hot artists knives. He then slid the old rod out and welded the anchor. Put the piece of board back and it was all hidden by the replaced fret.

Good option keeping in mind it was a vintage instrument where milling the board offf was not desirable.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  8. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I saw that too - and have discussed this option with a local luthier who has done some great work for me... Odda are pretty good that's the way this will go, I just wanted to ask about any and all options...

9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Depending on the glue used, you should be able to remove a fretboard without milling it off. In many cases the original board can be re-used though fret work is pretty much a given. Although I have heard of the cutting part of the board off to access the anchor I have my reservations. First I would expect the value of an original neck would be reduced more by this unconventional approach than even a replacement board. Second the fret board does provide some structural strength to the neck which it no longer would in a very specific part of the neck. Third you are still going to need fret work done so I don't see the point.

10. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I saw that - mine anchors on the other end of the neck, so it would probably go more like this:

Guitar Repair Shop

bobdabilder and 96tbird like this.
  11. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks for weighing in - I'll express those thoughts when I go to see the luthier, unless I get a recommendation to send it somewhere beforehand...