Truss rod replacement in a 1978 Guild B 302

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Bowers, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    Anyone out there done a truss rod replacement on an old Guild 302? Wondering if its a pull out or full fretboard removal.

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    More often than not, one is looking at a fretboard removal and in many cases the fretboard doesn't come off in one piece...

Unless you're getting that bass - very dear model to me BTW - dirt cheap, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

My $0.02 only...

3. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    I'd consult a luthier, and get them to look at it.

4. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    I do love these basses, it's my second, paid $370

5. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    I did consult a luthier and he wasn't 100% sure himself and hasn't found any info on it

6. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Know of any other luthiers in your area? Any specializing in older instruments?

7. Chris Bowers

Chris Bowers

Mar 22, 2017
    Maryland
    I like the one I know he's been doing it for about 35 years. Used to work Washington Music Center. He just didn't want to pull the fretboard without knowing for sure it just wasn't a burr or something that wouldn't let it pull out.

Skybone likes this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    With the exception of one maker (that I know of) truss rods don't just pull out of necks.

I would expect some surgery involved with the Guild.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021