1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Truss Rod Replacement Questions??? Any help greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkinbottom, Jan 14, 2018.

  1. funkinbottom

    funkinbottom Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I bought an old MIJ short scale ( Teisco?) that the previous owner said heard a rattle in the neck and turned the bass on end and the truss rod fell out. I was just going to swap out the neck. But this morning I looked on youtube and figured I would attempt to remove the old rod. Armed with iron and 3"metal putty knife, fretboard successfully removed. Inside is a U-channel minus the rod. The replacement u-channel rods from Stew Mac say they are a channel with 3/16" rod inside. Can I just use Their traditional truss rod kit inside my channel? If so, do I need to remove the existing channel?

    20180114_140715. 20180114_140632. 20180114_140640.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Take some measurements and ask stewmac. can you post a link to the truss rod you're eyeballing? is that channel glued in? what are the dimensions on that channel?
  3. funkinbottom

    funkinbottom Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Can do. This one here... Traditional Truss Rod Kit | stewmac.com

    Or maybe this one Gibson Truss Rod | stewmac.com

    What a moron. I just looked at their channel replacement and it's 12mm x 10.16mm I guess this would be the better option yes? U-channel Truss Rod | stewmac.com

    It seems like it is, though there is a bit of movement (1mm or less) at each end. If It is glued, I'm assuming the new one should be glued as well? What is the best glue for that?

    A hair under 1/2" x 1/2" x 16 13/16". To be more accurate 12mm x 11mm x 427mm
  4. Can you post a picture of the truss rod ends?
  5. Yeah that stew mac rod might work. You may need to make a filler if theres a gap. It looks like you have enough room to juggle on the length, correct?
    funkinbottom likes this.
  6. RSBBass


    Jun 11, 2011
    "U" channel routes are usually straight. The traditional style rod uses a curved channel.
    funkinbottom likes this.
  7. funkinbottom

    funkinbottom Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Thank you for the help. I think I have it all figured out now. I took bobdabuilders advice and called Stew Mac. These guys are great. Spoke with one of the techs who was very helpful to make certain I ordered the correct rod and what I need to reinstall.
    EpicSoundtracks likes this.

Share This Page