Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRUSS ROD SCARING ME

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ademus, Sep 23, 2004.

1. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    umm, yeah. i got home today after buying a bass off my mate for £30 something and sat down to see what needed sorting. i saw the strings were rediculasly high, so i had a look at the bridge, ok some crappy bridge. ( its some copy of and SG, 3/4 size ) so i looked around, saw the neck was a tad bent, and this was the problem with action, so i sat down will and sallen key and got poking. the lil adjuster for the truss rod was at the bottom of the fret board which was wierd, but i still had a lil go. tightened it a bit, saw no diference, and i did this a few times, (i know this was VERY VERY stupid after reading other posts like this ) then i herd a crack, and the truss rod just kept turning and made no difference and i could pull it out of the neck. so i though, not to abd of a problem, ( me being stupid ) so i tried screwwing it back, but id didnt work. NNOOOO so i sat there going bugger, ive just destroyed the bass. is there any way of fixing this, if so what and how much, better not be too much i spent £30 something on it in the first place. :crying:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's busted. And the fix (either a new neck or a new rod + installation) is going to cost more than 30 quid. Sorry!

3. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    dang, o well i guess now i can either sell the bits or do the classic rock and roll smash up on it

4. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    actully, would it work if i got a steel rod, got it sized perfect and shove it nice and snug in the neck? i know i woulnt be ajustable, but would it be a temp solution?

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. The truss rod provides tension. The only solution is to replace it.