1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TRUSS ROD SCARING ME

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ademus, Sep 23, 2004.

1. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    umm, yeah. i got home today after buying a bass off my mate for £30 something and sat down to see what needed sorting. i saw the strings were rediculasly high, so i had a look at the bridge, ok some crappy bridge. ( its some copy of and SG, 3/4 size ) so i looked around, saw the neck was a tad bent, and this was the problem with action, so i sat down will and sallen key and got poking. the lil adjuster for the truss rod was at the bottom of the fret board which was wierd, but i still had a lil go. tightened it a bit, saw no diference, and i did this a few times, (i know this was VERY VERY stupid after reading other posts like this ) then i herd a crack, and the truss rod just kept turning and made no difference and i could pull it out of the neck. so i though, not to abd of a problem, ( me being stupid ) so i tried screwwing it back, but id didnt work. NNOOOO so i sat there going bugger, ive just destroyed the bass. is there any way of fixing this, if so what and how much, better not be too much i spent £30 something on it in the first place. :crying:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's busted. And the fix (either a new neck or a new rod + installation) is going to cost more than 30 quid. Sorry!

3. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    dang, o well i guess now i can either sell the bits or do the classic rock and roll smash up on it

4. ademus

ademus

Sep 23, 2004
    Bedford
    actully, would it work if i got a steel rod, got it sized perfect and shove it nice and snug in the neck? i know i woulnt be ajustable, but would it be a temp solution?

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. The truss rod provides tension. The only solution is to replace it.