Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod & set up: how often?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Nov 12, 2004.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    OK, I've read the stickies and didn't see this one.

I've had my Washburn ABG for about a year and just had a pro adjust the truss rod. It doesn't have a adjustable bridge saddles.

My teacher observed that the neck was starting to warp. I believe this was the result of my putting too heavy a gauge string on an acoustic bass. I've swapped out strings a couple times over the past year and the last ones were not specifically acoustic bass strings. Also, the action has always been high and seemed to be getting worse and it was getting to be a devil to play.

The guy adjusted the truss and the action is lower than it ever was. It's great. Feels like a completely different guitar. I had no idea it would make such a difference.

Now, _after_ the adjustment I put lighter, phospor strings on the guitar. Should I worry about it warping in the opposite direction because of the lighter gague?

I'll keep an eye on it. I guess it's not all that difficult, but I'm hesitant to do anything myself if I suspect a problem, so I'll probably take it back in in a month or so for a check-up.

Am I right in thinking that, given a reasonably well made instrument and also given good treatment and no adverse conditions aside from normal northeast seasonal changes, that once the guitar is well set up, it should not be necessary to adjust the truss rod again? Or should I anticipate needing an adjustment once or twice a year? If so, I can probably manage that by myself if the changes are minimal.

Thanks all

John

2. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Totally depends on the instrument.

Can be anywhere from once in the instruments lifetime to 3 or more times per year.

It's a good idea to learn to do your own setups and if you're careful in the beginning you'll soon be proficient at it.