Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss-rod set-up...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 8, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    With the money I get for christmas iwas thinking about getting a truss-rod setup to get my squier action super-low.But I have 2 questions.

1-I have a Squier deluxe.The action is pretty high.I have flatwounds.Can I get my action as low or even lower then how Fender's usually are in shops without getting fret buzz?

2-The little thing for the allen wrench to get to the truss-rod is kind of stripped.I mean you can still loosen and tighten it,but it's pretty bad.Is this a problem for a tech?

Thanks in advance.

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    This is Frankencow again,I got one more question.

When a tech does a truss-rod setup what does he actually do?Does he just tighten and loosen the allen wrench part?Or does he like take apart the neck or something?Thanks,bye.

3. With everything you have said I would be worried. A stripped truss rod nut is just asking for trouble. Squires can almost always get better action then they way they are when they hit the store. But if your looking for on the ground action you probably wont find it. Most techs will adjust the string saddles, truss rod, and in some cases the neck itself in the neck pocket during a "setup"

4. frankencow150 asked...

The little thing for the allen wrench to get to the truss-rod is kind of stripped. I mean you can still loosen and tighten it,but it's pretty bad. Is this a problem for a tech?

Are you using the wrench that came with the bass, frankencow - or did one even come with it? I'm curious about whether you might be trying to use an SAE allen wrench on a metric trussrod - or vice versa.

allan

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    so a set-up is kind of just messing with the bridge saddles and the allen wrench?thats what ive been doing,but its not helping.

hey gallient, why cant i get low action with my squier?

6. frankencow150 said...

so a set-up is kind of just messing with the bridge saddles and the allen wrench?thats what ive been doing,but its not helping.

Pretty scary statement, frankencow. If you play around with the bridge saddles the worst you can do is mess up your action and intonation - but if you adjust a truss rod and aren't real sure what you're doing you can damage your instrument. Fixing a broken or stripped truss rod involves removing a glued-on fingerboard. A lot of the time it's cheaper to replace the neck (or sometimes the entire bass), so be careful.

Squier products are kinda inconsistent - some are pretty good, some are not. You may not be able to get your action where you want it with what you have - that's one of the problems with a less-than-high-end bass.

Having said that, I suggest you ask Mr. Gearhead how to set up your bass - his instructions seem pretty easy to follow.

cheers,

allan

7. Please don't f*** around with your truss rod. I learned my lession.. I was a crazy kid with super low action in mind, and i took the wrench to my bass and just made it worse. Luckily nothing was damaged. I just took it to a tech and he fixed it right up.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    after x-mas im going to a tech to see what he can do.Do you think a tech can get me some low action or not?i really dont want to follow meargrhead because ive heard all of the scary stories of people messing with their truss-rod and snapping the neck?i think i exaggerated too much on the allen wrench nut.so do u think a tech can hook me up with somel low action or what?

9. A combination of variable quality and overall instrument setup. Fender uses low radius necks. Great for what they are but if you lower the action to much you will fret out strings more often on a lower radius neck then one with a bigger radius. I would suggest taking your bass to a tech and working with him. So often people take instruments to get set up and don't mention what they like (of course a good tech should also ask) and are unhappy with the results. Working with a tech by telling him your goals."Low action" Playing you instrument while he watches and, when ever possible, playing it while he sets it up. Will usually help the situation.

Otherwise he could put your strings nanometers from the board and your playing style might make them buzz like crazy. Working together you can find out whats the lowest your style can go and then either leave it there or alter your playing style to allow for low action.

One of the secrets I have found with Squires is to do a custom nut. The stock ones will almost always set the strings to high and you can never get them low enought with the saddle adjustments.

Its worth the 20-40 dollars for a good bone nut job if the tech suggests it.

10. Most of the time even the worst necks should only receive about a quater to a half turn on the truss rod. And if you have messed with it start out by loosening it.