truss rod setup for differnet tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tucker, Jun 8, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    I have two basses and I want to set both of them up to a certain tuning. One bass, which is a Samick 5 string( a really cheap bass but I make the best of what I have) I want to tune to B-E-A-D-G tuning. I already have it intonated and the action is set to my liking. I tighten the truss rod all the way and everything is set. The strings guages are medium. I want to ask if this is a good thing to do for the truss rod?
    My other bass which is a NS 2000 Q5 neckthrough I play everything on is tuned B-D-G-C-F. The truss rod is two turns looser than as tight as it can go. My question is the folowing. Is this good for the truss rod.
    In other words how should I set my truss rod up for different guage strings with a step lower than standard tuning.
    If you have a way to set up my truss rod tell me to tighten it up and go from there.
    Ex. the truss rod is tight as it can go and then go three turns looser.
    I use heavy guage strings cause I dont want a wobbly string(s). If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're going at this kinda backwards. There are no fixed truss-rod settings.

It's better to do it like this. You setup action and intonation and turn the truss-rod ONLY when something changes over time.

Samick: If the setup is ok (like you wrote), leave the truss-rod alone.

Spector: Just try the new tuning. Probably the neck won't change at all, or the change is negligible.
    If it does, turn it ONLY a quarter-turn at a time (clockwise - straighter neck, anti-clockwise - looser neck [as seen from the headstock looking down to the body]). Let it set until the next day and check the setup again.
    Never turn it beyond the tightest possible setting.

Hope that helps.

The Fender website has a quite good setup tutorial.