Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rod Slipping?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    whenever i go to straighten my neck out by adjusting the truss rod......it seems to slip 1/8 of a turn or so on the first turn. after that it feels normal. i've never turned it more than a 1/4 so i don't think i'm turing it to much????? it feels scary everytime i do it ha hahaha. also, my neck seems to return to it's original position after i striaghten it out after a week or so.....i assumed it was just from living up north but......

why is it slipping?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It sounds like the threads are stripped so you are not getting a good grip with the nut.

I would try removing the nut, but you might not be able to get it back on. You also may lose the use of the bass until you get a replacement nut. If you are not comfortable with trying the repair yourself, take it to a Luthiere!

Usually the nut is a softer material (like brass) than the truss so that the nut will strip, not the truss rod. This might mean you just need a new nut. If the truss is stripped.....

If the nut was stripped, it probably means it was tightened too much. You might want to slip a washer on the truss.

Ha, Detroit is south :D

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ha i guess i am still south in the big picture. :)

it's not the nut.....my elbow and nut are fine. it's a brand new bass. it feels like it's slipping inside the neck. when i stick the elbow in the nust BANG! it slips (no resistance) for a second then it feels tight and turns with the normal resistance. everything else seems fine.....the bass itsn't having any other issues except for my neck seems to want to stay slightly bowed and keeps returning to that position every week (but i think that is normal :meh: ).

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! it did it again! everytime. everything seems fine but it just slips the first time i turn it...then it's all good......

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You could also be at the end of the threads. But really, it sounds stripped. Try putting in a washer or two.

7. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I am not sure if I understand what you mean by "slipping". I know in my bass, if I adjust the truss rod when the strings are tuned, the truss rod will not move at all until I apply the full tork necessary and then it breaks free. This can be avoided if you lossen your strings first. In my case, the truss rod then moves freely with little tork. At least this will indicate if there is something wrong with your truss rod.