1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

truss rod stripped?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Apr 24, 2010.

1. the action on my bass is WAY too low; everything rattles. this is after being "professionally set up" for $20 too. I tried to adjust the truss rod, but the 3/16 allen wrench won't catch and adjust the rod. i was told that fender jazz basses use a 3/16, is this not right?

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Wow, you get what you pay for!

Try raising the saddles.

3. Hi.

^This.

If the "professional" is a friend and is just doing You a favour, the price is understandable, otherwise not.

If the "professional" stripped the allen slot, take the bass back an ask him/her to repair what was damaged.

IMLE also Fender has used various allen sizes, and if the bass is an older one, someone may have replaced the original TR nut with another one.

Regards
    Sam

4. the saddles are all the way up already

5. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Take it to a real pro or do just like you would with your car.
    Start with a complete set of hex wrenches and just as you would with a nut on your car: start trying to fit obviously too big or too small ( your choice where you start) wrenches in till you have to work the right one in. It is a deep socket so you will know when it is going in right. if it is a snug fit then regardless of whether you want to tighten or loosen, start by loosening so you know you have the right size wrench without exerting a lot of force.

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Trussrod adjustment is only partof the setup procedure. If you're under the impression that fiddling with the trussrod is going to fix your problem, you really need to take it to someone who knows what he/she is doing, or your next post may be asking about what to do about a stripped trussrod nut, or, worse, a broken trussrod.

The saddles being at the top of their adjustment sounds like a neck angle issue--were they like that, before the "setup"? Could be that whoever did the "setup", shimmed the heel too much.

Write off the $20 to experience, and find out who does good setups in your area.