1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss rod tension-superlight strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn, May 5, 2015.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    86 Fender MIJ jazz bass special. I use super light strings: 85-65-45-30 DR hibeams. The other day I realized that there was no tension on the truss rod, and the neck was straight and the bass is set up how I like. I tightened the truss rod till I just barely felt resistance. The setup is still the same and I'm happy with it.

My question is should I leave it like this? The strings are putting a relatively low amount of stress on the neck, but the truss should have at least some tension, right?

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

No problem; just snug enough not to rattle.

96tbird likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It is what it is. The neck was built with no stress on it. Flat. If that's where it sits with light strings why would it hurt? It doesn't. The truss is to counteract string tension. If there isn't enough tension to bend the neck, it's just in "park" mode: just snug, ready to fight pesky string tension should a swing in humidity change the wood and induce more relief.

If humidity was to induce backbow in your neck now, that would be a problem. Other remedies would be indicated (starting with heavier strings) because a single action trussrod can't fix backbow if it is already loose.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I agree with the above but I personally would feel safer with slightly higher tension strings and/or raising the Saddles a tiny bit. My fear would be Back-Bow.