Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod that wont adjust with allen wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowner, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    OK I have a Yamaha buss and the truss rod is on the body not the headstock. I went to adjust it but there is no place to put the allen wrench. It looks like it might take a socket wrench or cresent wrench but I am not sure, i hate to tinker with it and ened up breaking the truss rod or something. what do I use to adjust it or just take it in and have it done?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What model Yamaha?

3. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I don't know what model.I've researched it but cant find what model it is.

4. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi. A new student of mine has a bass like this, and the truss rod needs adjusting. In a big way. Anyway, here's a picture of the type of Yamaha he has, but there's no good picture of the truss rod adjuster itself, unfortunately.
    http://onkoudou.hippy.jp/ITEM/bass/yamaha-mb3/yamaha-mb3.html

It looks like a hex nut down there, sort of, and I seem to remember seeing a wrench w/socket once upon a time that looked like it would fit in there. Does anyone have experience adjusting this kind of bass?

Thanks,
    Brent

5. Yep, there's a hex adjustment down in there. It's going to be sort of a "down and turn" approach to get it in there and you'll only have 1 position that it will fit but it'll go in there. You might have to rotate the long end of the wrench all the way right or left to find the socket. Remember, the wrench will only fit every 60º of rotation.

If it's way too hard to get too then here's another route. Loosen the strings and back off the neck screws until they just begin to ease up out of the neck plate. Then gently rock the heel of the neck up just enough to get a good shot at the TR. Then button it back up and retune for checking.

6. My hamer cruise bass use's a hex nut socket as well here is a link for aplace that sell's them
    Hex nut socket set

7. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks guys. I think this is going to solve the problem for me. I really appreciate the advice and the link.

Brent

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, Stew-Mac might be able to help. I have a similar situation with an Elrick which has a small hex head at the business end of the truss rod. Problem is that it appears smaller than any of the wrenches shown. I'm suspicious that it may require an Autoharp wrench (!) like my old Pedulla Rapture.

Enjoy the Yamaha!

Riis