Truss rod too far in

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ADbassman, Dec 11, 2004.

1. I've run into a bit of a problem with adjusting the truss rod on my Ibanez Musician. It seems the truss rod not is at a wierd angle to the slop of the wood going into the hole. Simply put, I can't fit an allen wrench in the slot to adjust the truss rod. Does any company make an allen wrench with a shorter handle, or at a freaky angle to get into a hole like that?
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sounds like a strange problem. I'd like to see a pic of that.

you may have luck using a nut driver tool with a swivel extension and the proper allen bit.

I'm just reaching here...

good luck!
  3. Yes you need a short reach allen key, my Yamaha bass is the same the key length on the short leg is about 15mm long, the standard allen key short legs are about 20mm so too long.

Look in your local tool suppliers they should have these as they are common place to buy, or pop in to your local guitar shop and ask if they have any odd spare ones for Ibanez laying around
  4. Guys, aren't you overlooking the easiest solution?

Just grind or file off the allen wrench to the length you need.
  5. I actually went with hambones option, but havn't tried it yet. I'll probably grind it down in a couple minutes, I'll tell ya how it goes.
  6. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Better yet, clamp it in a vise and cut off the end with a hacksaw.
  7. Thats exactly what I did. It worked great, my action is much lower and plays real nice. Thanks.