1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss rod tool for USA MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BiigM, Jan 26, 2013.

1. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Hi all.

I just took possession of USA MTD #340, and need to adjust the truss rod.

Unfortunately the rod can't be adjusted with a normal hexkey og a screwdriver, like most other basses.

The screw has the hex on the outside instead, and I saw in another thread that it takes a special tool that came with the bass originally. There was also a link to allparts.com but it doesn't work anymore.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

I'll off course try to contact Mike but with NAMM going on it might be tough right now.

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I just use a 5/16" socket at the end of an angled socket extension. I imagine you would be able to find an angled nut driver. A straight nut driver 'might' work.....

Attached Files:

3. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    I tried that but it was a bit to fat to get in there. There is not much room under the rod.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

How about a thinner walled socket?

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Good thread bump!

I have a 535 and haven't had to touch the truss rod yet.

This is something I should likely know too!

6. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Ok.

I found , with Mike T's help, that I need and open end 5/16 wrench or pipe wrench.

The pipe wrenches are sold by allparts.com, and are the same Gibson uses.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021