Truss Rod Trip

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Jun 7, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    I don't know if this has happened to anyone els here or if you'd even want to admit it if it did... But I was about 11 years old when I got my first bass it was a one of those plywood Fender P bass knock offs. Well I wanted to know everything about this bass and all it's parts, and when I read the instructions that came with the bass I saw that it had an "Adjustable Neck". So I look at the bass and said to myself "why would a bass neck need to be adjusted?" So I rememberd that a friend of mine a few blocks away had a bass that looked a lot like mine but when I held it, the neck did feel a bit longer on his bass. So I figure that the neck adjustment MUST somehow make the neck longer. So I take off the truss rod cover and start turning the the truss rod with the provided allen wrench, the neck still looked and felt the same. I didn't bust anything if that's what you're thinking but I sure frustrated myself over a period of 3 days wondering WHY the neck was still the same. I loosened the truss rod, tightened the truss rod, but it still felt and looked the same. MAN that was the most confused 3 days I had ever had.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
  3. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    This post made me laugh a bit o_O.

... Yeah, I haven't slept for a few days.
  4. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    d*mn it... if that's not what it's for then what is it for!!! AAH! I"LL NEVER KNOW!!!!! j/k
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Never had that problem.

But then again, I was on here before I dared messing with the truss rod because I was scared crapless for my first bass.
  6. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Kind of funny, but only because the bass wasn't harmed. Nothing more upsetting than an injured bass.
  7. I see your not a member of MENSA :D :cool:
  8. I almost got a one up on that. my first bass a squire "pro" bass pack. great xmas gift. well I had now idea what tuning or inotation was so i thought yo my self why are all the bridges different (saddles) and why are the tuning pegs all not lined up. so I lined up all the saddles and all the tunign heads. looked cool to me, than I got my tuner and was confused why was I so out of tune. and than later discovered how to properly set my action :hyper: youth and ingorance can cause much harm to music intruments