1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truss Rod Vibrating?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by salimgs, Mar 6, 2008.

1. salimgs

salimgs

Mar 6, 2008
    Recently, and more accurately suddenly, I noticed severe buzz all over the frets (including open strings) in my Ibanez EDB600.

The neck is straight; My action is relatively high and I have also checked the saddles. When I play any note all anywhere on fretboard, I hear a strong buzz which I can not tell where the source is.

Here I want to propose a strange guess: Is it possible that tross rod is vibrating as the wood vibrates on playing every note?!

Salim

2. Yes, your truss rod theory is a distinct possibility - just tightening it very slightly ought to change something about it.

I also had a difficult-to-trace buzz which I eventually traced down to a loose 'elephant ear' on one of the tuners.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd focus on the "open strings" factor and just start checking components from the tuners right down to the strap pins.

Riis

4. Happened to me too. I took it in, saying it was probably the truss rod, they said it was the tuners and messed with those. Got the bass back and he had tightened the truss rod to mask the fact that it WAS the truss rod. Tightening it obviously fixed it, but that didn't solve the grand problem as it also made made neck have virtually zero bow. Got my money back...

And it absolutely WAS the truss rod, I went piece by piece and stopped every little bit from shaking and I couldn't get it to stop, so it had to be internal. If you put your ear up to the back of the neck you hear it rattle around inside.

So yes it is quite plausible.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    On one of my older cheaper basses, the spring on the intonation screw had become compressed where it was badly setup. Once I had fixed the intonation, the spring was loose and was the cause of my rattles. Ended up taking the bridge apart so I could stretch the spring a tad. All fixed.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If there is something that is attached mechanically to the instrument it is suspect. Examine everything. Start with the most obvious and easiest to access first.

7. Hi, Salim.

IME only a relatively loose truss-rod buzzes with all the notes, usually it has a spesific frequency (and all the related frequencies) to exite the vibration.

If Your bass is a bolt on, I'd check the neck bolts and the neck heel to neck pocket fit. If the tuners aren't the source.

The electronic compartment and strap-locks are also always good candidates for resonances. As is the scratch plate if any.

Regards
    Sam

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This happened to me once, turned out it was a screw in the tuning machine.

9. could be a loose strap button, your bridge saddles, nut, loose machine heads, a loose screw somewhere. try to locate it.