Truss rod vibration?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by indie-visible, Mar 11, 2001.

1. I've noticed an anoying thing about my new Ibanez EDB600. I get some strange vibration (quiet rattle) somewhere along the neck, especially when I pick or pluck E and A strings hard enough. It seems it's not fret buzz, and it doesn't originate in bridge saddles or nut, I guess. E.g. when I fret the E string about 7th fret, I still can hear it on the headstock side of the neck. Well, it's really a minor problem, or even not a problem at all, because it's very quiet and doesn't affect the amplified sound, and it's audible only when playing unplugged and playing hard. Besides, no other symptoms of truss rod problems: no bad curvature, no dead spots, solid feel. But still it's there, and I heard that the truss rod may vibrate when the gutter for it is too wide. Is this a probable explanation? How can I determine where the problem originates? I know the wise answer would be to go visit a technician, but maybe it's a generally known issue?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've never owned or played an Ibanez, indie, but I'll apply what I know from the many others I've owned -

Is there a truss rod cover you can remove and see the exposed truss rod? If so, try holding the rod a tightly as possible with your fingers or something like a long-nose pliers, then pluck your E & A hard and see if that stops the rattle. If so, the only thing I know to do, short of taking it to a tech, is to put something in whatever space exists between the rod and the cavity. Probably, the space is too minute, and I'd be at least talking to a luthier/tech to see if they had any advice short of taking it in to the shop.

Have you checked the tightness of the tuning peg assemblies, particularly the nuts/washers (assuming Ibanez uses nuts/washers at the base of the pegs)?

Lastly, perhaps Ibanez uses graphite reinforcing rods which, to my knowledge, aren't accessible, unless, (maybe), if it's a bolt-on neck. Maybe one/both of these are rattling.
  3. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I had what sounds like the same problem on my was the nut. Just stick a piece of paper between the nut and the offending strings.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the last poster - I have had a couple of basses in the past and it sounded like there was something rattling in the neck, but it was becuase the nut slots were too low, so the strings were touching the fret board behind the fretted note.

There are two possible cures - raise the action using the bridge saddles or put something in the slots of the strings making the noise. The paper would be a temporary solution, but would let you know that this is defintely the problem, if it works. A more permanent solution would be to get a guitar tech to work on the nut. The person I took mine to, had some ground up nut dust for this purpose and added enough to cure the problem with a quick drying glue. The other answer would be to get a new nut cut, with higher slots.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I agree!
    The truss rod is a very unlikely source for noise. In most cases it's either the nut or the bridge.
    The truss rod could only make noises when fully loosened. But that is almost never the case, since its job is to counter strings' tension by pushing the neck in the opposite direction.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, the truss rod isn't all that unusual a source for odd vibrating noises on guitars and basses. I've got a Strat that does it, and just discovered the same problem with a Turner Ren 4 string that I was playing earlier today. There are cures for it, sometimes just taking a bit of tension off the rod, and then re-tightening it will make it stop, at least temporarily. If that doesn't work (and if it IS the rod), get your bass to a good repairman as soon as you can.
  7. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    When playing the A string open, I used to get an odd rattle. To make a long story short about all the possibilities I pondered and the troubleshooting, it was the 'leaf' part of my Squier's A machine head.

Problem solved with tape! ;)
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, Fenders are a different story altogether...:D

I never played a Fender that <b>didn't</b> rattle - but that's just me, I guess...:D
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    JMX, note that I mentioned a Turner Renaissance 4, which is anything but a Fender. So stuff other than Fender does it as well. :D