Truss Rod vs Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maxy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I own a cort curbow 5.

I dropped it so i got a slight lift on the fingerboard till the 2nd fret.

The problems is i get extreme buzzing at the 2nd fret. My action from the saddles is as low as possible giving me the best feel.

How do i maintain a low string height as well as adjust the truss rod to remove the fret buzz?

And whats the diff betn the adjusting string height and the truss rod?
  3. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Yeah. the 2nd fret has unusually large buzzing whereas the 1st and 3rd frets have no buzzing at all but this is only on the e string.

I also have dead spot on the 10th fret of the a string and 20the fret of the d string. Help.

I took it the only repairman but its for free and he dont care so he just talked some crap while the problems resisted. I think these problems are also related to the curbow 5 having a trend of having a gap in the neck to body area.
  4. Maxx, none of the conditions you've described is caused by, or is effected by, a gap at the neck joint. Very little, if any, sonic coupling is gained from the sides of a neck pocket. It's all seen at the bottom of the pocket between the suface of the heel land the bottom of the neck pocket. Deadspots like you've described also aren't in the usual places. You should have all of your frets and fretwork checked. It sounds like you may have some that are loose.
  5. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Just to update info.

I re-tried adjusting the truss rod. The problem is the strings are high if i prevent the 1st 5 frets from buzzing. The action is already as low as possible from the saddle.

The 2nd fret stopped buzzing but the other 2 places. A - 10th fret n D - ?th fret are still dead(extreme buzzing)

What'd i do?

And i am bying new strings. will higher gauge remove buzzing or cause lessen buzzing?

6. Your questions are showing me that you haven't read the website I referenced above. It is extremely hard for me to discuss this without you having a better grasp of the basics concerning these issues. So that we can continue this discussion in an intelligent manner, please go there and study it until you get a good handle on these topics. This is one of the clearest explanations of how a neck works that there is. It is good information with illustrations and you will do yourself a great service to absorb what it has to offer.