Truss Rod Washer question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TinIndian, Feb 27, 2018.

1. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I recently picked up a 2006 Fender American Deluxe Precision. Love it but the truss rod is maxed out. It turns just fine but doesnt have any more adjustment. I picked up some of the Fender truss rod washers to install but other than adjusting a truss rod, i dont have any experience with this sort of thing. I just want to make sure i understand before proceeding.

What I've read is you simply loosen the nut and install a washer or two, making sure they fit properly, and reinstall the nut. It helps to preload the neck a little and its simple as that. I guess what I need to understand is that at a certain point the opposite end of the truss rod will stop turning and the adjuster nut will actually release and unscrew from the end of the rod. There is no way the opposite end should unscrew from its end.

Small detail but i want to make sure what to expect.

Thanks in Advance!

Tin

2. The rod itself shouldn’t be turning. It should be anchored in the the end away from the nut, so, yes the nut should just unscrew and you install a washer or two and screw the nut back on. Sounds simple, right?

While the nut is off, I would probably put a drop of 3 in 1 oil or a little Vaseline on it to lube the threads. Also, clamp the neck into a backbow when you reinstall the nut then, hopefuly there’s access, so you can release the rod and get the correct relief once the strings are on.

3. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Great! Thanks for the reply. It's pretty much as I expected then, Just one of those things - I haven't done it before and I'd rather ask the question than find out there was something I wasn't expecting or should have done/known.

I have no problem doing this kind of stuff if I know what I'm getting into!

4. Oh, when the nut is off, if you have a soft brush or some air or something it’s not a bad idea to clean up the threads on the truss rod itself also.

TinIndian likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If the rod is turning, you’ve got trouble. It’s welded to an anchor block at the far end. If it’s turning, it’s broken.

The washers simply move the nut back on the rod and cover more threads making them available to tighten the nut. They’re just repositioning the bearing surface the nut contacts further back From where it is.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021