Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod? We don't need no stinking Truss rods! (Alt. way of fixing a bow?)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Now, wayyyy back when, I know that classical guitars were fixed but heating the wood, and somehow "weighing" the neck down in the other way, and making it even again.

I was wondering if contstant pressure to make the neck "Strait" would do the trick if your Truss Rod was bonkered.

2. Big difference in tension between gut or nylon strings and steel strings. Most of what allows you to have such great tension on your strings is the steel reinforcing rod, whether adjustable or not. Straightening the neck out would do nothing because it would bend right back once string pressure was applied.

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Uh hem.

The truss rod is there for a reason - to control the bow in the neck. There isn't a "better" way to do it.

You need to start doing these adjustments yourself to take the fear away. Start with ever so slight adjustments (1/8th of a turn at a time) Nudge the neck into alignment - do not CRANK.

Gary Willis has a great set-up guide on his website -

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

4. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Right, I know what the truss rod is there for, and I know how to fix it. I have an older bass in which the truss rod is useless. Thanks.

5. I understand you can get a new cap on the ends of some truss rods, others that you can remove the old truss rods, and some that take the attention of somebody who knows what they're doing. I'm only familiar with the last kind- I don't
    like messing with truss rods any more than I have to.

6. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA

I'm an ass. :oops: Sorry bout that. Didn't see the last sentence where you said your truss was "bonkered"