1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

truss rod - which way to turn

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Larz Gearbox, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Larz Gearbox

Larz Gearbox

Jan 4, 2004
    i have read and read about truss rod adjustment. But am still confused as to which way i need to go. i don't wanna bung my bass.
    I have a j-bass with the truss rod nut at the body of the guitar (not the headstock). My neck has a very visble bow and is causing the strings to be high in the middle of the neck, when i fret these notes the strings 'click' and rub on the higher frets (closer to the body).
    Basically i want to straighten the neck....

which way should i turn the truss rod??

cheers

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Clockwise - Tightening the nut shortens the length of the rod, pulling the rod straighter, forcing the middle of the neck towards the strings... Patience is the key word here... You'll read a lot of stuff about folks saying "I cranked the snot out of my truss rod and straightened the neck in one day with only four turns!" which is a recipe for disaster... 1/4 turn is quite a bit with truss rods...

robert's recipe for success:
    With the bass tuned to pitch, hold dow the E string on the first and last frets and observe the distance between the string and the frets at about the 9th fret... give the rod about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, check the tuning and let it sit for a few hours, (or overnight)... After a suitable time, repeat the process until the action/relief is to your liking... One or two passes should make a big difference...

Some folks like to loosen the strings while adjusting, some also like to 'help' the neck a bit by 'forcing' the neck after an adjustment, (Grabbing the headstock and gently applying pressure in the middle of the neck in the desired direction)... I can't really see any harm in either of these methods as long as a person is careful... I've never done either and have always done okay, but I know guys who have used the above methods and been okay...

Of course, if any of this makes you uncomfortable, definitely take it to a shop!

Good luck!!

-robert