Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

truss rod woes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by K-townbasso, Jun 17, 2004.

1. :help: hello everyone. this is my first post but ive stalked these messageboards for quite some time, very helpfull to me. i have a more specific question in regards to my own bass. its a fender mim jazz bass v. the neck has a good bow to it and i have tried to tighten the truss rod before, but to no avail. it seems as if it is maxxed out or something like that. 2 questions: !is that even possible? that the truss rod is tightened to the maximum and cannot go any further? and
    2:if so, how can i fix it, or get it fixed rather. i would imagine it would involve removing the fingerboard or the skunk stripe and resetting or replacing the current truss rod, but hey, if i knew for sure i wouldnt be asking. im told of a guy around here that can tackle almost any repair so i bet that if it can be fixed, he could do it. thanks for any and all help!
    Ken

2. I would get a good tech to look at it first and then go from there.

I'm unsure what your exact problem is, to high of action?? To low?? You just do not care for the type of bow in the neck?

A clearer description of the problem would help us to help you.

Read these..........

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, it is possible that it was overtightened and the wood was compressed. Also, if it is backbowed, you want to loosen, not tighten the nut.

If it is not backbowed, you can check the truss rod yourself:

• loosen the strings
    • remove the neck
    • remove the truss rod nut
    • check if the threads are stripped, both on the truss and the nut

Now you have a decision: if the threads are stripped you should take it to a pro. If they are not, try getting some washers that fit over the truss rod and into the truss hole. Then put the nut on finger tight. Follow the instructions in the links Treena mentioned.

4. Is it under warranty? You should just get the neck replaced if that's the case. Sometimes the rod just doesn't work that well and there's not much you can do.

If it isn't under warranty you can always drop a few 3/16 washers under the truss nut to give it more thread. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

5. okay, in response to what exactly is the problem with the neck:
    the neck has developed quite a bit of an upward bow. it is giving me a realllly high action. it hasnt bothered me in the past, but a few people have told me to get it adjusted. i diddnt care before but lately i have played a few other basses with realllly low actions and i now am left wanting with my big clunky beast of a bass with high action. sorry for the vaguness.

6. Ken, sounds like you could achieve the action you are looking for by shimming the neck. Follow the instructions below and see if this helps. You can use a credit card, match book, thin piece of wood........The best shims are one piece and the full size of the neck pocket.

Hambone, please correct me if I'm wrong!

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. i think i was yet again a little unclear in my description of the problem.
    the position of the neck in the neck pocket and its angle in relation to the body are fine, the neck itself is bowed, the pocket is fine. when i look down the neck from the bottom of the bass, i see a distinct upward curve in the neck, so the neck is higher up at the nut than at the end of the neck. if this makes any more sense than my last post.... :smug:
    im probably gonna end up bringing the thing to a tech that ive heard about from some other guys i know. thanks for the input.
    Ken.

8. You've described it well.

First, I would look at exactly how you go about doing your trussrod adjustment. You should loosen the strings and place the bass between your sockfeet to brace it against your knees to assist the neck into position. Do this on the carpet, please! As you gently ease the neck back, give your truss rod a quarter turn and ease pressure off the neck. This way, you take the strain off of the adjustment nut and then tighten up to the new position. Retune, and see if it doesn't help with the geometry.

If this doesn't yield something, we'll move onto something else.

9. plsh

plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    usa
    I just had my Bass in the shop for a nut repair and I was talking to the repairman about some fretbuzz I had at the 7th fret. He informed me to loosen the Truss rod(not much just like a quarter turn at atime).

Since you say you have an upbow as opposed to a back bow it sounds like you shoud loosen the rod .
    Think about the rod. If you had a piece of "all thread"(a truss rod) in you hand and you had one end on the ground now you apply pressure to it(by titening the screw, or for the example pushing on rod)it's goin to bow. Now if you let the pressure off(loosening the truss rod) it's going to come back to a straight line.

Hope that helps.

10. Hello again everybody, i just thought id let you know that to clear up the question of what exactly is going on with my neck, just look at the "truss rod maxed, what do i do?" thread
    my problem is virtualy identical to the one described there, however much more pronounced. also, i tried to get the nut off of the truss rod, but once i got it most of the way out, it stopped coming out. it kept turning for hours on end, but stayed in there and could not be coaxed out. any idea as to what i should do now? is this an inherent design feature of my bass? (circa '98 mim jazz V)
    thanks again

11. anybody have any suggestions about how to get the nut off my truss rod? ive tried putting some valve oil on it (i am also a tuba player, so ive got tons of the stuff hanging around) but to no avail. i really want to get this thing fixed, i aint got no money for a new bass, so uhh, if anyone has any bright ideas about why its stuck on there, or how to get it off, let me know. and just to be clear, the nut keeps turning, but it doesnt come out any farther, so its not like frozen tight. thanks!

12. plsh

plsh

Jun 27, 2004
    usa
    Sounds Like your threads are stripped. I'm no luthier but being an auto mechanic I've run across my fair share. If you can get behind the nut somehow then what you need to do is put pressure on the nut while unscrewing it(like prying on it with a screwdriver).

If you're able to get it out and if it's even possible to remove the rod then you'll need to get the right die from your local tool or hardware guy and clean the threads up.

Maybe it'd just be better to take it to a rerairman though?

Good luck