Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss rod won't move...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by the pieman, Jun 21, 2005.

1. the pieman

the pieman

May 22, 2005
    Durham, UK
    ...on my OLP 4-string. The relief in the last few dats has gone down to pretty much zero, causing a lot of buzz on the first couple of frets, so I tried to loosen the truss rod. It's got a wheel with holes in (at the base of the neck, like a Stingray) to adjust it, but I couldn't move it, I even tried turning it the other way, just to test, but it wouldn't go.

Any ideas? :help:

2. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    If you can see any thread (external or internal) then put on a very small drop of thin oil as close to the thread joint as you can get it. Ideally you would use "cracker oil" made for this purpose but any thin oil will work. Wait 24 to 48 hours for surface tension to wick it into the joint. If the threads are binding this will often free them.

3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Oh, so it's you is it then? :p

4. the pieman

the pieman

May 22, 2005
    Durham, UK
    Yep, it's me!

femtometric: I can't see any of the thread, the rod is adjusted with a wheel-typed thing at the base of the neck. Would I have to remove the neck to get there? If so, I'm not really sure if there's a specific way to take it off, or do I just unscrew the bolts and pull it?

5. the pieman

the pieman

May 22, 2005
    Durham, UK
    I haven't adjusted it before, but I bought it used a year ago, and the guy I bought it off had just had it set-up by a pro. Just yesterday I e-mailed him asking about it, and unsurprisingly he said he couldn't remember what was done to the bass, but thought the person that set it up would have said if something was wrong.

So with the neck off, will I definitely be able to see the thread, or will I have to remove the wheel on the end? And would standard WD-40 be suitable for this?

6. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Normally with the neck off you could see threads - not sure in this case.

WD-40 gets thick across time and smells kind of bad (or maybe good to some) - so not the best choice.

Look for thin oil at a hobby shop, or a sporting goods store (silicon fishing gear lub) or sewing machine oil, or most real hardware stores would be able to help you.

Many music stores (the kind with woodwinds and brass instruments and some min level of service) use Ferree's J88 Corrosion Cracker penetrating oil and if you brought in the neck would probably put a drop on for you. It is designed for exactly this type of application.

7. Keep silicone-based oils AWAY from wood PERIOD. Go with the sewing machine oil.

By the way, I find it strange that the relief "leaves" your neck. Generally speaking, with string tension over time, one may see the neck bow the OTHER way, creating more relief.

Before you do anything, check your relief (setup instructions from the Gary Willis site)...if there is ANY, then just raise the action a little.

8. the pieman

the pieman

May 22, 2005
    Durham, UK
    Cheers for the help, guys, but I've just been away the past few days, and amazingly, there is now a tiny bit of relief in the neck, just enough for the buzzing to go away. It's only solved the problem temporarily though, so if I ever need to adjust the truss rod again, I think I'll take your advice, thanks!

9. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    My 62 RI Jazz once had a truss rod that "locked up". I turned it as hard as a dared and it wouldn't budge. I was afraid to put more pressure on it due to some horror stories I read about breaking truss rods.

I took it into Mike Lulls shop, he grabbed it and put a big freaking screw driver in there and twisted HARD.. twang! It came loose and has worked perfect ever since. Almost gave me a heart attack though..