Truss Rod Wrench Woes for Fender American Precision

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Fender American Series Precision which I purchased used, but did not get the truss rod wrench.

Now that the weather is drier and I have a bit too much neck relief, I want to tighten the truss rod to lower the action. However, I find that I can't get an allen key into the teeny-tiny access pocket that is at the top of the pickguard.

I've adjusted my Godin BG-5 and Lakland Skyline 55-01 basses without any problems, but they have a much larger access cut-out in the body to get to the truss rod than the Fender does.

Three Fender dealers have "declined" to order the actual Fender truss rod wrench for me. Nor do they seem to know what size it is. I guess there's not enough margin in small tools for them to bother.

No doubt they're trying to ring up a sale and do a set-up for me, but it's an easy adjustment and I can do it myself as long as I have the right tool.

Is it the long ball-end wrench with the red "T" handle that I'm looking for? I'm not sure.

My question is: What is the size of the allen key required to adjust the truss rod? I believe it is an english measurement, not metric. The otherwise excellent Fender set-up document does not reference the size of the truss rod adjustment tool.

If I buy an ordinary allen key of the appropriate size, I can hack-saw the end off to the appropriate length or maybe just buy a ball-end allen key of the proper size.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. You'll really enjoy the versatility of the ball end T handles. These allow more positive action and you can attack the TR from the best angle according to your headstock needs.

You can cut a hex key off and debur the cut and it'll work for what you want.

If I'm not mistaken the hexkey is a 5mm. My Japanese Fenders are.
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Hambone, Muchos gracias for the reply. I hear you on the ball-end T-handle wrench. I'd like to get it just to make my set-up complete. My Precision has the case, hang-tags, everything but the bleepin' truss rod wrench. If I could get a dealer interested in ordering it for me, I would.

Are you sure that the size is 5mm? I know that many other basses (especially those of Asian manufacture) use a 5mm hex key.

It certainly makes sense BUT... the only reason I thought that the Fenders used an English measurement was:

A. One dealer specifically told me so, and,
    B: Fender's set-up directions are all in inches.

Hmmm... Anyone know for sure?
  4. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I got a P-bass that was missing the T wrench...I just took off the pickguard to get to the truss rod.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Try Sears or a similar store that sells tools.
  6. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    3/16 I recently got a whole set from Stewart-Mc Donald for like twelve bucks and some change shipped. I didn't get the T-handle but I did get the ball end, I suggest you do a google for it and go to Stew Mac under tools. Peace Eric
  7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

And the WINNAH is 3/16ths !!

Thanks for the kind suggestions. Off I go to the hardware store.