Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doom32x, Dec 27, 2000.

1. doom32x

Apr 10, 2000
    What does a truss rod look like? I bought a bass about a year ago for $100 and want to know if it has one so I can adjust it.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Please fill out your profile, if I knew what bass you have it would make answering your question easier. Most likely your bass has a truss rod, look for an opening where the neck meets the body or on the headstock, maybe under a cover. Some basses require neck removal. Usually, turning counter clockwise will loosen the rod and give more relief and clockwise will tighten and make the neck straighter. Small adjustments at a time, maybe a 1/4 turn and wait 24 hours to see the effect. It's a good idea to pick up Dan Erhlewine's (sp) Guitar Repair guide. If you don't know whether or not it even exists you are probably better off taking it to a shop.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The truss rod is a metal bar buried inside the bass's neck. The dangerous thing about these is if you do the exact wrong thing (unfortunately not predictable), you can BREAK the truss rod, rendering the bass useless.

So I agree with what MJB said: you may want to have a professional setup done (would cost around $40) before you learn enough to do it yourself.

4. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    Personally, I don't think you should be afraid to try adjusting your truss rod. However, I think 1/4 turn is too much. To be safe, stick to 1/10 turn. Let it sit for a day and recheck your relief. See the latest issue of Bass Player mag for very detailed instructions on this process. Good luck.