Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Truss Rods

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenderfiend, Nov 2, 2000.

1. fenderfiend

fenderfiend

Nov 2, 2000
    You know out of all my years of playing bass, I have never adjusted my truss rods. Well yesterday I decided to experiment with it. For some odd reason no matter what direction I turn the screw, the strings get more taut. I don't think this is a good thing. I don't want to warp anything. Which way should I turn the screw to loosen it up.

BTW I play on a Fender p-bass.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Moving to Setup!

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Turning clockwise tightens the truss rod on Fender basses and anticlockwise loosens it. BUT this doesn't mean that loosening the truss rod will loosen the tension on your strings, this isn't what it's meant for. It's actually likely that tightening the truss rod will loosen the tension on your strings as this will probably make your neck flatter and so the strings have less distance between nut and bridge.

But it depends on your starting state. The truss rod is there to correct any problems you have - like buzzing on the frets or excessive bow in the neck. If you started off with back bow or forward bow then the result of adjusting the truss rod will be different in each case. It's probably best to go and have a look at Fender's website, which has detailed instructions on set-up and how to adjust the truss rod.

4. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Actually, tightening the rod slightly increases the the distance from nut to bridge.

Loosening the rod will allow the strings to pull the neck into more relief which will bow the neck and slightly decrease the distance from nut to bridge. Following a trussrod adjustment, it may be necessary to adjust the bridge saddles for both height and intonation.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Another thing to consider. When you tighten the T.R. the results are immediate. when you loosen the T.R.(add relief) the results may need a day or so to stabilize. the only thing that increases the relief is the string tension which slowly bends the neck, creating relief.

Pkr2

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm still thinking about this! ;) I think the point I was trying to make was that the truss rod is really meant for other things ... I think I might have got it the wrong way round - it's always obvious when you have the thing in front of you, but more difficult when you are just trying to picture it in your mind - that's my excuse anyway! ;)

Depends on whether you started with a back or forward bow though!

7. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I guess I had better reception for the picture in my mind. ;)

True, a back bow (convex bow) will also reduce the nut to bridge distance but on a line passing through the instrument so that doesn't count. ;) This will most likely cause extreme buzzing if the note sounds at all, especially on the lower part of the fretboard.

Uh-oh, my reception is fading...gotta go. :)

8. fenderfiend

fenderfiend

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input