Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trussrod\action problems with my ibanez....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 43apples, May 29, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    ... and YES, i have read the sticky, AND done a search!

The problem is;

I tried to tigthen the truss-rod on my Ibanez Fretless, to straigthen the neck, since it was a bit too bowed for my taste, i could not get a nice low action since the strings were choking\ too low at the end of the fingerboard.

So, i slacked down the strings, and tigthened the truss a half turn by turning it clockwise. Then i tuned it to pitch and let it stay over nigth. Well, somehow i didn't notice any difference at all. The day after i gave it another go, this time tigthening a full turn. Same thing, the neck was just as bowed as before!

Could it be anything wrong with my neck? Have i not tigthened the truss enough?

Thanks, i'm a bit worried you see ;).
    -Erlend

(by the way, sorry for not making any sense in this post, i've been up for 36 hours straigth so i'm not functioning correctly ;))

2. Im pretty sure its recommended you only go by a quarter or half turn a day and give the neck time to settle

I know its not good to keep turning it :S

3. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Which way is it bowed? with the bass lying on its back, is the neck curving upwards or downwards? If the strings are choking at the end of the board, then it sounds to me like you've got a back bow, which would mean loosening the rod. Don't tighten it any more - if it was playable before it's unlikely you'd need anything like that much adjustment

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, when seeing it from the side, it looks like the "bowed" excample of this neck: [​IMG]

So, i believe that if the information provided is correct, my problems are due to not enough truss rod tension. :)

Sorry, but i'll post back tomorrow. I tried to make a good reply but it just turns nonsens. I need to sleep! ;)

Thanks
    -Erlend

5. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    That's definitely a front bow all right , but how come the neck's not moving with a turn and a half on it? You can get choking at the p/up end of the board if you've got a front bow and you've lowered the action to compensate, but I would have thought that all that adjustment would have moved it. Have you put the action up to compensate for the lowering effect of giving the neck some back bow? But then you say the neck still looks bowed. All I can think of is that the rod never had any pull on it, and that the nut was just loose, and that's why 1+1/2 turns hasn't done anything. Could you feel any resistance when you were turning the nut? Just don't give it any more until you're sure it really needs it

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i just found the problem. You see, my trussrod adjustment screw is located at the end of the fingerboard towards the pickups, and not at the headstock.

So, smart me counted "clockwise" as clockwise when looking down from the headstock, and not the "clockwise" you would see when looking up from the brigde (opposite direction).

So therefore i turned the truss-rod the wrong way, and therefore slackened it! :D :D :D

Now i've turned the screw "the rigth clockwise", and my neck is straigther ;).

Thanks!
    -Erlend

7. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Glad you sorted it All the best, Mark