Trussrod adjusting; should strings be loosened up before?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Euclides, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Euclides

Sep 13, 2000
    Or is it not necessary?
    Used to know that.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd advise you to do that, especially if you want to straighten the neck. On most basses you have to loosen or remove the strings to access the truss-rod cavity, anyway.
  3. Since breaking the truss-rod is always in the back of your mind (or should be) I concur with JMX about loosening the strings. Why make the rod work that much harder pulling against the string tension?
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Thank you Hambone. When I suggested the same thing, I had several responses that pointed out several reasons why I was wrong to suggest that sometimes it's better safe than very, very sorry. (several posts ago) A truss rod breaking, or the truss rod nut stripping the threads doesn't do a lot to make your day.

By the way, Hambone, How about an update on the computer controlled bass project? Don't leave us hanging.
  5. Ah, don't listen to those guys. They are the ones that'll be on here looking for a source for a new neck or wonderin' how come their truss-rod is so loose.

Sure it'll take a bit longer but the results will be the same and since the rod is hidden you can't really tell how much adjustment is left in it. Like you said - Better safe than sorry"