Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trussrod adjustment = buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guac mole, Aug 23, 2001.

1. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    Yesterday I went to the local music store to get my truss rod adjusted, but when I came back to play out of my rig I started getting this buzz from my bass that was never there before. It sounds like it is a grounding problem because it's only there when my fingers aren't on the bass, but how did the truss rod adjustment affect the grounding wire in my bass. I've tried this on three different amps in different outlets in my house, and still get the buzz. any answers?

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Is the buzz only there when you pluck a string? If this is so, it is fretbuzz - the person who adjusted your truss rod has stuffed up and flattened the neck too much, and when you pluck a string, the string is hitting some of the frets, usually the higher ones.

If the buzz is there all the time without any plucking, then you are right, it's an electronic problem.

3. KIN

KIN

Jul 17, 2001
    U.K.
    Bring it straight back to the person who set it up.
    It does sound like an earthing problem, so god knows what he/she was doing. If possible bring it to a pro repairer. Good luck. :)

4. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    ok it's solved. i guess there was a freak occurance localized entirely in my house that caused all the outlets to "do the buzz". i never experienced it until today and it only lasted for two hours. it was a hell raising two hours of me pluggin, unplugging, switching, swapping, flipping, screwing, moving, but it's all over now and i can live in peace and harmony. thanks though for the suggestions.

5. Good to hear your problem is solved. Rule of thumb - if you suddenly develop a buzz (electrical as opposed to fret-buzz), suspect the problem to be external and not originating from your bass. More often than not, you'll find the buzz to be caused by stray electrical or radio signals. Case in point, about 2 months ago, I noticed my bass would start buzzing at about 3pm on Saturdays. I couldn't figure it out, until I walked out one Saturday and noticed that my neighbor had installed a hi-powered CB Radio antena on his roof. The antena rotated, and on Saturdays, at about 3pm, he'd aim it in my direction to talk to his boys at his farm where they were spending the summer.