Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trussrod length

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Godhead'sLament, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I am about to build a bass and I have a question. how long do a thrussrod need to be? i've been looking at the comersually available rods and they seem not to be long enough, melvyn hiscook mentions that it should overlap the body by ~2". is this important?

im hoping you can give me some general imfo on this
    -Robin

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    For a 34 or 35 scale bass with up to 24 frets the standard 24" rods seem to work fine. Either stewmac or LMI.......t

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i use the 24" hotrod from stemac.. just make sure you make the access at the headstock...

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the reason i say access at the hs is that on a 24frt bass the 24" rod goes to about the 20th fret. so for setup any action issues you have below the 20th fret can be addressed with the trussrod. anything above the 20th fret should be addressed by bridge adjustment.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I have been liking the LMI rod better. You can make the neck thinner..t

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    really ? is it 2 way ?

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  8. thanks. but my biggest question remains. if i used a 24" rod with access at the head it will go to about the 20'th fret. and that is the point where the body meets the neck.. is this enogh?

it seems to me that if this point isn't stable enough you would have some problems.. btw it's gonna be a 6 stringer so i want the neck to be stable.

9. ssaikume

ssaikume

Feb 10, 2004
    Basque country
    I had the same problem with my last bass.

I made a 35" neck with neck access for the trussrod (a double action from stewmac), and the rod goes only until the second fret. Finished it, it looks that works fine, but i´m dude if it´s a better way.

By the way, working with this stewmac rod, i´m find that you can´t make the neck too thick. And i´m thinking for the next project, to make a 3mm of deep channel in the gluening face of the fingerboard, to win few milimeters in the neck.

It´s fine? :rolleyes:

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    center the rod in the neck. the allen wrench will slide in.....t