Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trussrod nut rattle

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mr.redpants, Jan 23, 2003.

1. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    I would like to take some relief out of my jazz neck, so finally I got an allen key that that fits the nut, and turned it clockwise to tighten. So far so good. Neck's a bit flatter now, but there is a slight rattle coming from the area of the trussrod nut (?). What's going on?
    How can I fix it?

2. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    It sounds to me that the rattle is due to the spline was not installed all the way and the truss rod is rattling inside the channel. A way to test this is to slap the back of the neck with your palm. You should here no rattle. If you do, the best way to fix the problem is to remove the inlay at the 12th fret and carefully drill a 1/8" hole and drift a dowel pin in to put pressure on the truss rod. Then reinstall the inlay. This should be performed by an experienced Luthier.

Mike

3. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Since most 12th fret inlays are a pair of dots, off of the centerline, you will not hit the truss rod by drilling through the inlay. I would suggest the 9th fret position dot, which is on the centerline.

Roger

4. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    Thanks folks -
    I slapped the back of the neck and heard nothing (?). Let the bass sit for a few days (to work my day job:) and there is no rattle at all. I noticed that the rattle, when there, is particularly noticable when open strings are played, reverberates to the tone of the string, and is apparent just after a truss rod tweak. hmm more research needed

hey Roger - thanks - I've been thinking of asking you to do some work on this bass in a month or two ..

5. check the nut, the rattle may be coming from the nut. If you don't know much about setups, bring it to a pro. You shouldn't ever adjust your truss rod more than 1/4 of a turn at a time, you W*I*L*L cause problems to the neck such as warpage and cracks:eek:... Im sure you knew that, but be careful. Usually if you have to question yourself about something involving truss rods you should bring it to a pro, no matter what the question is. Of course, this is advice I should take myself but don't. I've never had a pro adjust my bass, and I really don't know who to trust and who not too;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would also say check the nut - I had this experience. Lowered the action and it sounded for all the world to me that the truss rod was rattling.

But what it was, was that the string was rattling against the neck between where I was holding down the note and the nut - you either raise the action or raise the height of the nut-slots. The bass tech at the bass centre built up the nut with quick-setting glue and ground-up nut dust - this meant I could have low action without the rattle.

7. Yeah, how much does it cost to have someone give my bass's nut proper height. My open strings rattle and lower notes on the fretboard rattle (although that's more of a fret problem). I don't want to sacrifice upper register playability for lowend rattling. And it's not that my neck is back arced either, but then again, if I have it setup professionally, I may be surprised... But my bass is fine until I can save for a new amp.