Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRUSSROD shouldn't be a PHILLIPS HEAD???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spidersnake, Aug 21, 2005.

1. spidersnake

spidersnake

Aug 20, 2005
    is it strange to see a trussrod with a philips head instead of hex. is it the opposite for turning it and how much would you adjust it. or can you not adjust it..

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is this a vintage styled fender? If so, it's not uncommon, and usually they are at the base of the neck. Right pulls the neck back, loosening lets it come forward.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If it's a Fender you are referring to, my choice of tool for the job is a large flathead screwdriver rather than a phillips.

Turn clockwise to tighten and reduce relief, counterclockwise to add relief. I'd go in 1/4 turn (or less) increments with plenty of time (at least several hours) after each adjustment to let it settle in. If tightening the truss rod to reduce relief, you should pull back on the headstock to flex the neck back which will reduce stress on the trussrod threads, loosening the strings is also a good idea IMO.

4. spidersnake

spidersnake

Aug 20, 2005
    thanks :hyper: ...yea it looks a lot like a fender(but it isn't)...IDK what kind of bass it is i bought from a touring band and i covered the name with half of the bands sticker(my gift with purchase ha). So now i can't remember what it was...its in POS shape verry thrased...so far i've only replaced the tuning pegs but most of the small screws are strip-rusted into the gutar...i'm thinkin go to the dollar store and get some screw drivers and superglue them into the screw and take it out like that then just toss em kuz i wanna check the electric and at least change the screws in the pickups before they get anyworse. anyway heres a pick of the head and guitar. idk how u's get decent pix with size and pixel limits on here but mine got real distorted and i croped em.[​IMG] [​IMG]

so its still the same turn as if it was a hex? 1/4th a turn is a 90degree roatation of the phillips screw. i'll prob try 45degrees the first two times to b safe then after that i'll hit up the quarter.

Attached Files: