Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trussrod tool for Yamaha RBX?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IronSpatula, Mar 12, 2004.

1. I put a heavier set of strings on my Yamaha RBX6JM and I need to adjust the (dual) trussrods for less neck relief. The problem is, the adjustable portions of the trussrods are located in recessed pockets on the body end of the neck. Regular allen wrenches won't fit inside, because they are always too long after the bend. Where can I find the right tool to make this adjustment? :confused:

2. I've run into similar problems when working on engines.

If you have access to a bench grinder, simply grind off the end of the Allen wrench to shorten it. Hold the Allen wrench in a pair of Vise-grips, and try to keep it cool by frequently dipping it in water. Be sure to wear eye protection.

3. That's a great idea. However, I don't have access to a bench grinder. But I'll see if I can come up with some other way of shortening the allen wrench. Thanks!

4. OK, plan B. If you've got access to a good bench vise, clamp the wrench in there with the end you want shortened poking out the top. Tighten the heck out of the vise. Then break the end of the wrench off with a quick, hard hammer blow. Again, wear eye protection.

Hacksaws or files won't cut an Allen wrench. Possibly an abrasive cutoff disc, if you've got a Dremel put on one of the smaller cutoff discs on it. Eye protection is a must here. It should cut through it, though this takes a steady hand.