Trust Rod; Buzzing on the first fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fdiaz05, Dec 18, 2002.

1. fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    I had some buzzing on the first frets of all the strings when i used a pick. I tried messing with the trust rod but i don't think it's doing anything or if i'm even doing it right! How can i get rid of this buzzing? You guys know how to adjust the trust rod?...thanks
  2. Hey dood, on this main page there is a thread titled BUZZZ ( i think) check it out. I am sure there are few other threads on the main Setup page. If you dont find what you're looking for, drop me a line and i'll write it up in here.. ;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What "trust" it won't break when you turn it? ;)
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    isn't the trust rod what is liberally applied to one's backside when they trust a little to readily?
  5. In Rod We Trust.
  6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Does it only buzz when playing the strings open, or also when fretting them on the first few frets as well?

Typically, if it buzzes only when playing the strings open, the nut has been filed too low and you would need to replace the nut (I prefer a new nut vs. shimming the old one up....)

If it also buzzes on the first few frets, you may have the action set a bit too low at the bridge, but I suspect that you have a high fret. Usually you can find the high fret as that is the one where when you fret the string there, the buzzing stops. You should also be able to sight down the neck to find it.

Check your relief on the neck, then file check and file the nut (if necessary), then you can shave all of your frets to get them at a uniform height, or simply file and shape the offending fret, then set your height at the bridge, then the intonation and you should be good to go.
  7. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    If the bass is only buzzing at the first few frets and not the open strings - this could equal backbow. I don't know what kind of bass you have but in most cases if you depress the e string at the 2nd and 14th fret and the string is touching the 7th fret - you need to add relief by turning the truss rod counterclockwise in 1/8th turn increments until there is around 10 to 15 thousands relief measured at the 7th fret while depressing the 2nd and 14th frets.

There's lots of good info about this if you run a search around here.