Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trusting Ebay to buy a bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brat, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    OKay. I'm looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64402&item=3737952181&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

For $200, that is cheap. I've heard a handfull of bass players play these in bands and they sound NICE. One of the nicest tone I have ever heard. I've been wanting this for a long time. Now... should I trust Ebay? So what if they sy it's in good codition. Could they be lying and I be wasteing my 200? I have no idea. And please. no stuff like 'well... get his bass instead. Blabla.' I had my eye set for this one for a long time.

2. Well, the reserve isnt met, so far all we know he could want a million dollars for it. The seller has only a few feedbacks, so who knows the reliability. I'd send an email to him and see what they're all about.

EDIT: accidently got the bidder and seller mixed up. Fixed.

3. Pics are not whole, he's not showing the entire bass. His rating is low, it could be a dummy account with a few ratings that he's gonna screw someone with and erase. Reserve isn't met yet, it's probably going to be much higher than 200$.

4. The best thing to do would be to send the seller an email before you bid. I checked his feedback history and he only has history available for items he's purchased. So this would probably be his first item he's ever selling. I'd trust him probably for the reason that before you can ever have a good feedback you have to start off with 1 or 2 or 3. So yeah if I were you I'd email him for some more detailed information on the bass and ask him for more pictures if its possible. Good luck and this bass would most likely go over 250.00 since the reserve isn't met yet and the shipping is like 40 bucks.

5. get all the info about it before you buy it. Like Skratches, dents, ect.

I got Peavy 5string Gringbass of ebay and had never play it before. I was drunk and thought it looked cool. Luckly I am pleased with it. (allthough the spacing coud be a bit bigger)

6. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Like everyone said above, I'd be concerned that he hasn't shown full pictures of the front of that bass. Ask for more pictures.

Plus, with reserve not met, I bet that bass has a reserve of $400 or $500 if he's being reasonable.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!!! Reminds me of the Onion article titled,
    "Man who owns entire Mama's Family video collection vows never to go on ebay drunk again".

:D

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    "its a great investment if your collector or even u want to play it on a daily basis will catch everyones attention..."

says the seller. Impressive!

I dunno, can someone explain to me why reserve auctions even exist? And don't tell me it's "psychological"--that's BS and I'd argue a reserve turns off more potential buyers than it turns on. For a lot of obscure bass items you're lucky if there's one person wants it at all, much less at your ideal price...so why shaft yourself with a reserve? For the seller's own entertainment? ***?

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I wish I had a dime for every auction in which the item is photographed on the seller's bed. EEW!

Here's an offer--I won't try to sell you anything out of my bed and you don't try to sell me anything out of yours!

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Man, it's down right weird that the front picture includes his dirty laundry but not the bridge area of the bass. I would not bid on this. It's a little too peculiar.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Those bass pictures were awful....must be hiding something..

12. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    email the guys that he done bussiness with before if tell them your situ. and ask what you buy and how much and if it was over 200$ and positive feedback I would buy

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ask for more pictures. Any person who's not ashamed of their product will be happy to take the time to help move it. If he seems hesitant or gives you some garbage reason about why he can't accomodate your simple request, move on.

14. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Anytime you buy something without trying it, you are taking a risk.
    I bought a Euro Spector. Looked great, but when I got it, the sound was terrible. I had to buy a new pre-amp from Spector then get it installed. It was $140 for the pre-amp and $70 for the installation. Sounds fantastic now, but I ended spending $210 dollars more than I expected.
    Thats price you pay for using Ebay.