Trustworthy Music Stores

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman1185, May 18, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about getting an Electro-Harmonix Bassballs and an MXR M-80, but none of the music stores in my area have them in stock. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about Musicians Friend, so I'm reluctant to buy through them. Anybody have any expirience with, say, Sam Ash or Interstate?
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    For what I've been told, here are several stores who have excellent reputation :

I don't know much about Sam Ash, except that a French drummer purchased a Slingerland from them a few years ago, and that the delivery was wrong and incomplete, and it seems he lost much money in this purchase. But I can't really tell, since I really don't know who was wrong in this affair...

About Musicians Friend, I guess you take no real risk if you just want to buy pedals. Rickenbacker users tend to claim MF's speciality is to lose warranty cards (and thus deliver the guitars/basses without it), and other users seem to say some gear they were delivered was not in accordance with what they had ordered. But there again, I did not experience MF, since they don't ship to France.

Hope this helps,
  3. I've dealt with M/F 4 times and never had a bad experience with them. I've been dealing with Sam Ash for about 30 years, but, that's as a walk in customer, so that doesn't reflect on their internet dept. All I can say is to make sure you give your address slowly, and make the person who's taking your order reads it back to you to make sure there's no mistake if you're ordering over the phone. If you're mailing in an order - PRINT CLEARLY! So many people I know don't, and they are the ones that usually have problems with deliveries. If UPS or Fed Ex messes up, there's not much you can do about it, but, that's not the vendor's fault.

I wouldn't worry that much.
    Mike J.
    I've also bought a lot of other non bass related stuff from a dozen other online vendors and never had a problem.