1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truth about band members

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaybones, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    truth about band members.

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Nope, just you.

3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm speechless because I have no idea how to better say it than this.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    IME, your experience is not my experience.:smug:

5. Nope. Me + Bass = skirts. Maybe not as many as front men or lead guitarists, but . . . . . enough ! I often count myself as lucky playing in bands in the 70's: After The Pill, Before AIDS. All the occupational hazards could be fixed with a shot.

6. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Umm... Maybe not failing Sex Ed, but not doing well either. Just to name a few things not fixable with a pill: neurosyphilis, genital herpes, and genital warts.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Depends on genre overall. Being a musician opens the conversation. Up to you after that.

twinjet and NeverDropTheBass like this.
  8. Well, James Collins, you know, a gentleman must have a discriminating eye and some insight, so these unfortunate eventualities were avoided. I knew a lot of 'anything that walks' guys (mostly those same lead players and front men, my, the problems ego can saddle you with) that ended up with those various miseries, but I always held out for the best, and it served me well.

Let's just say it was a slower, different world back then.

EdwardofHuncote and Stumbo like this.
  9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't want to come across as disparaging. I just mean to provide more accurate information like some STDs are incurable or can cause bad consequences. And that often you cannot see an STD.

Though I get what you mean that for example if a person is less discriminating you may have a problem.

catcauphonic likes this.
  10. @J Wilson

How could you forget the swathes of the country struck down by genital warts,day after day the headlines screamed about gential herpes. The world was brought to the brink !!

Or

Maybe you were aware of those things called "condoms" and were that busy safely having fun you missed all the stuff James Collins has nightmares about.

@James Collins

"disparaging" ? No. Uptight ? A definite Yes !!

James Collins likes this.
  11. Well, you have to remember the mid to late 70's: I remember when herpes were a 'new thing'. I married in '82, so since then, it hasn't mattered, I was off the market. I'll just say I was careful, and probably, lucky.

Michael Schreiber and bolophonic like this.
  12. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I never experienced what that chart shows. Bass + long hair in the late 60s/early 70s worked quite well for me. ;)

My wife, who dated musicians almost exclusively before we got together, says bass players are the best. :cool:

My next door neighbor is also a bass player. His wife says the same thing. :thumbsup:

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i just tell the ladies that i'm the lead singer --- always works! even when i'm playing with my instrumental jazz band! :)

always works = they laugh hysterically!

McG, Spectrum, Shannon and 2 others like this.
  14. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    My interpretation is that these represent the band leaving the gig:

Drummer: Leaves with girlfriend, who had to drive him to and from the gig because he doesn't have a car.

Guitarist: Same as drummer, but drank too much and needs extra help walking to the car.

Vocalist: Drank twice as much guitarist and needs an entire platoon to carry him out the door.

Bassist: Being the mature and responsible one, is self-sufficient and drives home to his loving and lovely wife and/or family.

Stewie26, Das Jugghead, Beej and 35 others like this.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Not representative in any way of the bass community in which I operate.

Rip Van Dan, McG and Joedog like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    LOL

Excellent interpretation!

McG likes this.
  17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ha, I saw a recent version of the graphic that, below the bass player line, includes a dude + keyboard = dude + cats
    even funnier

also, my 60's-80's experience does not match the message at all either.
    got married in '86, and 31 years later am still happily so.

McG and -Asdfgh- like this.
  18. Finally, a lead solo for Hell’s Bells that I can get into!

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I never attracted the most. But I always attracted the more intriguing ones. Quality over quantity.

Drove one babe magnet singer I worked with crazy how I did that. I told him I had no agenda and was always respectful and courteous when approached. Good manners and a pleasant demeanor go a long way. Something this stud-muffin singer couldn’t seem to grasp.

DaDo625, 6Bass101, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  20. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I don't seem to have any trouble finding girls. I wait until the gigs over, go outside and look around. P7240010.JPG