1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Truth in advertising

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 10, 2010.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I was proctoring exams the other day. The kids were offered refreshments during a 10 minute break. When they resumed testing I had to sit there with nothing to do for 2 hrs. Started reading the box in front of me.

Capri Sun.

Box is beautiful. Windsurfers. Fruit. Says "all natural". "Less sugar than other drinks". "No corn syrup". I believe it said "wholesome drinks". The thing that caught my eye most though was the recycle symbol (that wasn't the usual one), and "be green" stuff that was written all over the box.

I started to investigate. They have a website you can go to if you want to be part of their "be green" earth friendly program and you can buy stuff that make out of a few of these recycled packages. Hmm... but the packages aren't recyclable. I generally don't give all that much of a crap about this kind of stuff, but when people start deceiving people it pisses me off. Basically, they make it look like they're an environmentally conscious company and that buying their product is a good and socially responsible thing to do, when it truth it's the most environmentally destructive method ever of packaging juice.

Then the wholesome part. First ingredient, water. Second ingredient, sugar. .... I don't have to go on.

Basically they're selling a crap fruit drink loaded with sugar that is unhealthy and will destroy the environment - and marketing it a healthy earth friendly thing that people will feel wonderful about buying. And it works.

There's tons and tons of crap out there like this. I just don't see it all that much (I buy generally healthful foods) and was amused by the audacity of this particular one.

2. I can't past the fact that kids can't take a test without a 10 minute juice break.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    4 hour AP exam.

4. do you make it through your work day without a coffee break?:confused:

i only wish i could make it through the day with juice instead of consuming the amount of caffeine that i drink. :oops:

im working on it. my goal is to wean myself off of caffeine this summer.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    On a semi related note for the truth in advertising, I'm starting to see Fords and Subarus popping up with the little green leaf emblem followed by four letters, PZEV. If you look closely, PZEV stands for partial zero emissions vehicle. None of these I've seen are hybrids, so what is PZEV about it? The way I see it, my Camaro qualifies as PZEV, as it's a zero emissions vehicle when it's not running.

More BS to keep the tree huggers happy?

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just all natural fruit juice itself is loaded with sugar and therefore not that great for you.

bc

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    It's not processed sugar though. HUGE difference.

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I took 4 hour AP exams in HS, 7 of them in 2 years, and I never got a freaking juice break, *** is this crap.

Also, 90% of any "green" advertising is absolute horse hockey.

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Juice and doughnuts actually. One of the teachers got it for them.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    The the pitchforks!
    RABBLE RABBLE!!!!

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Marge Simpson to Bapu: The only thing you have in this store without Sugar are these Sugar-free dounts!
    Bapu to Marge Simpson: Oh no, Mrs. Simpson that is Sugar, FREE donuts!
    :D:bag:

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Really? They`re suppose to give you them :p