Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Try explaining this purchase to the wife...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spc, Aug 25, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Yikes...

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's the perfect way to get out of a marraige or get your butt kicked. :D

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    It seems like only 2 or 3 years ago the mint examples of the burst finishes were selling for 10k to 12k. If this is a legit price, it seems like a lucrative market (for someone).

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Man....i'm gonna get heat for buying a 99 Jazz bass of Whafrodamus.....lord knows what would happen to me if I bought that thing.

5. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Yikes, that thing costs more than my car.

Much much more

Mark, that's a great bass you're getting from whafro, I've played it and really liked it. I actually almost bought it until I got my 75 Reissue. You'll love it.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    "Buyer pays shipping/insurance/duties/insurance claims are buyer’s responsibility. No Nigeria."

:D I thought that was a great touch.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I guess if you have the money but

For that price you can buy a really really nice car :( I know if i had that id probably get a VW Passat, or a slightly cheaper car and modify it a little (not rice, but modify)

8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Honey, remember that 401k we used to have?

9. ...priceless...

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    If I were a little bit RICHER. I'd love to score that one and gig the hell out of it.

But alas, it's going to wind up stored in a humidor somewhere, not being played. Damn collectors.

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    And in 5 years, your car will be worth less than half of what you paid for it. It's likely that the bass will be worth at least the same amount, and likely more. As SMASH stated, this is an investment grade instrument.

12. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Somebody e-mail him and ask how much it weighs. :D

Russ

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No offense--but you aren't even in the ballpark of the target buyer for this bass. Basses like this don't go to people who have to decide between a bass and a car. They go to people who buy basses every time they get in their car. :D

14. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    If one isn't going to play it, what's the point? Hang it on a wall? Put it in a climate controlled environment?

I have 18 basses, some old, some new. My view is if you're going to buy an instrument, play the damn thing. That's what it was made for, not to be put in a closet somewhere.

My two cents,

Alan

15. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Last year some time I picked up a Forbes magazine. Not my typical choice of reading, but, you know, I was on the ****ter at someone elses house (and there were no Playboys laying around ;) ). Anyway, there was an article that said vintage guitars were almost as good of an investment as real estate. It surprised me, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Pontz

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    That is very nice, I would say its really a 20K to 25K instrument, but it is an investment piece. If you consider how rare it is and also the fact what Strats and LP’s from the 50's era bring I think its in line. That stack knob is fare more rare then a late 50's Les Paul and Much Much cheaper even at 30K.
    Also consider what Upright players spend on their basses. We, as electric bass players actually have it easy and always talk about anything that reach’s the 6-8K range as way overpriced, or what are we getting for our money. Its not a question that shouldn’t be asked, but it really depends on where you are at financially and your desires. A person buying a Rolls doesn’t see it as a waste or over price as does someone with 3 Cadillacs sitting in the driveway.... but only to the person driving the Hyundai or playing an Ibanez.

I would love to own that piece of history and also that investment!

Disclaimer; not saying an Ibanez is a Hyundia ;) (Hyundia’s are very good cars for the money)

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, instruments are meant to be played. But, there is also such a thing as museums and private collections that aren't meant to be played. The Ox owned what? 300+ basses? He didn't play all of them all of the time. Does that make them less valid? Does it only have to be played once? Or, played often? How many times does it have to be played for it to be valid?

Cars are meant to be driven. But, I don't have a problem with rare, or historic, cars being in a car museum. Baseball bats are meant to be used to play baseball, but I don't have a problem with certain bats being kept in glass cases to be put on display.

At the end of the day, it's a hunk of wood with paint and metal attached to it by human beings. This happens to be a pristine example of one of the instruments that changed popular music forever. I have no problem with this one going in a glass case. I just wish I had the bank to make it MY glass case.

Of course, I'd still have to take it to the occassional blues gig. :D

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree :D

But that's why we aren't collectors .... like the musicians we are, we want to play and hear the instrument, while collectors want to preserve it in its pristine condition .....

I've never had a problem with a collector having an instrument like this, except for maybe the green-eyed envy I feel for not having that kind of money laying around :(

19. I think it's sort of petty that after coughing up 33K for the bass, that the seller didn't say "shipping included, insurance buyers responsibility"

For the same reason most people buy stock in genetics firms - investment for future gains. They don't invest in gene research because they are want to engineer a better ear of corn any more than the buyer of this is wants to play his favorite covers on it.