Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Try not Buy Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Wondered if anyone has tried these cabs out who hasn't made the committment ahead of time to pay for them.

Kind of like I wonder about Carvins, the people who offer reviews (tho much appreciated) are maybe biased because the thing is sitting in their living room not the music shop testing room.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Not quite sure I understand your point...

I don't think that you can really get a feel for what gear will do sitting in a store...that's why places like GC offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

FWIW, both Carvin and Avatar offer a return policy. Yes, you'll have to pay shipping both ways but that's the chance you take. But then, the same goes when ordering on-line from MusiciansFriend or Zzounds or anyone else.

I say nice things about my Avatar cabinets because I happen to really like them. If I didn't, I'd probably say that they're not for me and sell them on eBay.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my avatar works just fine

my bandmates noticed i had a better stage sound before i even told them i was using a new cab

beats my hartke

4. I meant no disrespect and I've bought stuff online and had to go through a test period at home as well. My point was do we think things sound better if we buy them - what i meant was do we lose our objectivity? But as you pointed out it's so hard to tell anyway so you just need to go with what seems like a good idea.

And good point about the soundroom at GC or whatever, you can't ever really tell until you're playing live or recording. I was trying cabinets the other day in a little 5x10 room and I was like, wow I have no idea what this thing really sounds like.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Regardless of where you buy your gear (online or in a store) you never know how it is going to sound with YOUR rig and YOUR bass. It's a gamble really.

To know if a piece of gear is right for you probably takes more than a meager trial period even. It's no wonder why musicians are constantly selling and buying gear. It's a trial and error process...one that gets expensive.

blipndub is right BTW. It's a psychological phenomenon called "cognitive dissonance". When you buy something, or are invested in it, you see it for its strengths and find faults with the alternatives you turned down.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    cognitive dissonance...perhaps. At least until the honeymoon is over:)

If we always felt that way, there would be no G.A.S.

And what would this forum be without G.A.S?:D

7. I think this idea of "cognitive dissonance". is actually a positive. It allows you to take what you have and make it sound the best it can, make it sound like YOU want it to sound, good or bad? who can say.

It's better than constantly hating your new purchases, always wanting more. Of course GAS, this DB, the whole US economy is based on this idea that consumption WILL satisfy but we all know that no matter how much we accumulate there is always more!

I love the signature someone has: “more gear than talent”. Amen. I think my signature should be: "but does it have resale value?" so I can remind myself...

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmmm...more gear than talent... For me, I don't know. More gear than chops...so very true...

I'm truly envious of guys that use the same bass (or amp) for years and years (Billy Sheehan, Chris Squire to name a few). I guess I have more fun playing with the stuff than playing it (but I certainly enjoy that too).

I'm very value conscious though and strongly consider resale value when buying gear. I've also bought a number of very sick amps and have brought them back to life...further funding gear purchases.

Keeps me off the streets...

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    blipndub, I'd invite you to search my Avatar-related posts. I bought my b410 used, so I didn't make the financial committment before I heard it. I also own another 4x10 cab - an SWR Goliath III, and I've posted comparisons between the two, as well as other reasonably objective opinions about the cab's strengths and weaknesses.

:)

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can see where Blip's comming from. I try to hire or borrow the piece of equipment I'm thinking about buying. Give it a road test at gigs before I fork out my hard earned. It works.