Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Try this with an American 4x4

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Man, when is Google video available for non-US residents? :(

3. Some people just have too much money to spend:rolleyes:
    I hate it when they do such stuff to cars. Although it reveals the greatness of Toyota

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I can view it fine?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

This is Jermey Clarkson for BBC Top Gear. They do this every week. The car cost less than £500. What's the problem? I pay my license fee to fund the BBC - you all get to watch it for free?

6. Geez, lighten up man. Would you rather this, that really cost nothing, and is wildly entertaining.... or another glitzy "________ Idol" big dollar production / fake reality show? I choose the former.

And yes, Toyotas are quite great.

7. It's not just the cost of the car, how about the cranes that raised it to the building, out of the beach and threw that caravan on it? Anyway, since it's free to watch I guess it's none of my concern.

Well actually it wasn't at all entertaining for me, since instead of destroying that car they could spend the same amount of money (believe me, it's the same) to make it a beast and then sell it. Although I do prefer that than all those reality shows:smug:

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've seen that show a couple times. They do interesting things. That was a GREAT video. Toyota should use it as advertising. The music really helped - that trumpet lick at every "rebirth" was great!

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    You pay me what I paid for my dodge Ram and I'd be happy to do that. I love that truck for it's toughness and reliability. There isn't an Amercain truck made that couldn't exceede those tests. Let me ask you this, When was the last time you saw a ricer truck with a ladder rack or utility body on it. There's a reason for that. Look at the rust on that thing, before they even started. That video isn't impressive, I wouldn't expect anything less from anything labeled a pickup truck. You need to get out a little more.

10. Man, I love Top Gear. I haven't missed one in a couple of years.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Ricer trucks? Made them nips, right?

You need to get out more.

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

You're ignorant. Anything automotive made by a far east manufacturer is considered "rice" by american automotive enthusiasts. It's meant as a playful nick name for a class of vehicle. Like the term "american iron" when referring to a US auto. There was nothing racial involved in that, you took it to that level. I find it offensive that you took my words a twisted them into something racial.

Laugh all you want, let's take a look at the 2 major automakers in your country, shall we. Saab & Volvo. Hmmm, both are actually part of Amercain auto conglomerates. Saab is owned by GM, and Ford holds majority share in Volvo (as well as Mazda). Let's look at Saab's bitchin' new SUV, what a slick ride. It's actaully a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer, oh the horror. Let's move on to the Saab Aero wagon which is actually a rebadged Subaru WRX. So before you look down your nose at the US automakers, do a little research. It's true, the 70s & early 80's were a dark time for the american manufacturers. The imports beat us on quality, innovation & engineering badly. But we wised up, got lean, and now cars/trucks from this country are every bit as good as those made by the overseas companies. If we were so bad, why has Toyota remained in a hugely successful partnership with GM for the last 15 years or so. That partnership would be Saturn. Pride in your country is a good thing, but don't let it cloud your judgement. The toyotas & nissans dominate the small truck market, but why haven't their full size models caught on here ? Same manufacturer, right. So what's the problem ? Because the Japaneese trucks are geared more towards the casual truck market. Put those trucks in a tough work/hauling situation and they start to shrivel in comparison to the US trucks. Like I said in my original post, there is a reason why you don't see ladder racks and utility bodies on the foreign trucks.

We've really stepped up our game in the last 15-20 years, it's a shame that the rest of the world doesn't give us the credit/respect that we've shown the imports over the same amount of time.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My 85 ranger could do that. Seriously.

14. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    And it probably wouldn't be rusted nearly as bad in the beginning either.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It doesn't have any big holes, except at the door pillars, and the very fron of the front fender.

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that's always the knock against the Japaneese trucks, anyone you see more than 10 yrs old is rusted all to hell. I'm not saying ours don't rust, just nowhere near as bad. I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time Japaneese steel was considered far inferior the steel produced in the US. Of course, that was years ago.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ok, I'll step up to the bait -

Saab is Swedish and BMC is from Switzerland. I know it might be hard to get your brain around the fact that there's different regions of Europe called "countries" (just think of them like little states) , and it's much easier to think of it as a conglomerate mass of "Yurop-ness". This said, Sweden and Switzerland are about 1000 miles and a good strech of sea apart.

TTFN!

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

You sound like a really bright guy. What part of Switzerland might I find the Saab and Volvo plants?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.