Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying a design change

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave251, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Seems whenever I take my instruments to a trade show, the bassists are always asking me why the magnetic pickup is so close to the neck.

I always liked the "deep" tone from that position, but I've been doing some tinkering lately and....so....

Just started a bass yesterday that will have the single humbucker located in the "traditional" P-bass position. Won't be quite as dark sounding, and should allow a bit more midband penetration; but won't know for sure until it's done....

Any comments would be appreciated....

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I took the liberty of posting an image here. If you want people's opinion, it makes sense to make it as easy as possible.

[​IMG]

I see nothing wrong with the design. if it has a good sound, it's all that matters. Reminds me of a Hofner "Cavern" model.

3. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I'd already moved the fiver pup just a bit....this next attempt will be with a four string, and it's still a lot closer to the neck....

[​IMG]

With the five string, I guess I kind of felt is was more of a compromise anyway, as I wasn't after quites as a "traditional" string bass vibe. I do know the pup position on the four has raised questions about the viability of the design....although it does satisfy my personal set of ears.....

4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    FWIW, i just finished listening to your clips that list yer basses...i really like the tone.
    my only question is: are there any clips that are with frets?
    i listened to 'brianG', 'midnite mood', and 'all of me'. i couldn't quite tell if 'all of me' was on fretless or fretted. if fretted, nice tone! if fretless, nice tone!
    :D
    i play a few genres...rock, jazz, blues, funk/r&b, some country...and prefer a woody tone in alla them. (i play an ibby asb140 with roto 77 flats onnit...sometimes a conk gt-7...cain't get flats for that.)
    i'm looking, when i can get the scratch, to get a nice fiver fretted. after hearing your stuff, i guess i'll have to keep you on my short list, alongside sad's and 'walls.