Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying amps with different basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 6, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Okay, so i've been loking on this ashdown mag 4x10 combo and i tried it with a ibanez ax10g or something, the cheapest bass ibanez makes i guess, anyway, it sounded AWESOME and this bass felt totally amazing!
    I was really gassing for this amp and then i went back to the shop again, and tried it with the shop owners bass, a beautiful looking peavey(dont know the name) with a maple neck, however i tried the amp again with this bass and URRKK :rolleyes: it sounded cold, sterile and everything you can name and i was disgusted.
    Now i dont really gas for this amp anymore..

has something like this happened to you?
    a cheap bass amazes you and a middle priced disgust you..

anyway i might bring my btb over there and see how it sounds!

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds like you don't like the shop owner's bass! You really do need to audition amps with the bass you intend to use it with, preferably at a rehersal with your band under some sort of trial period. There is a lot of bass/amp interaction and even more interaction with drums, keys, guitars, or whateverelse your bandmates play that will change the way you hear the sound.

Or maybe you really liked that ibanez?

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah i really liked that ibanez!

Simple, cheap but yet elegant!

By the way, it's called GAXB and looks like this:

[​IMG]

I think i'm considering buying one! :bassist:

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got an old Guild along those lines that I love ... go for it!