1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying Boss GT-1B unit - no power switch?! (have Zoom B3N)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jan 12, 2018.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have the Zoom B3N, but I thought I'd give this a go.

I'm reasonably satisfied with my B3N, but this had a couple features I wanted. I like that it has PC USB audio/recording connectivity and a 1/8" headphone jack. The latter seems silly, but I am always losing my adapters, and the Zoom B3N makes you double up your headphone input in a 1/4" output jack. Boo.

Anyway, the unit arrived today. Nice little high-quality box. The presets sound pretty good. Slightly less gimicky than the Zoom B3N's, but that's not saying much. My initial assessment is that the Boss is appreciably more complicated to program than the Zoom - even with the "easy" feature. The computer/USB programming probably mitgates this. I'm generally ok with the crazy light action the Boss unit has going there.

But here's the kicker. NO POWER SWITCH? This seems like a really lame place to go cheap, and it's impetus to box this up and send it back.

Connect your bass. The INPUT jack doubles as the power switch. Power to the unit is turned on when you plug into the INPUT jack; the power is turned off when the cable is unplugged

What do you all think?

2. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I hate it. It pisses me off. Probably my biggest complaint about the unit. Not enough for me to send it back.

Note: the B3n doesn't work as a recording interface. That's my biggest complaint about the unit.

3. I don’t think the B3n has an on off switch either does it?

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    As the owner of a ZOOM B3n I can confirm it indeed does have a on-off power switch.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The only benefit I can see an on/off switch would bring is when you want to play the unit at home and leave everything connected when not playing.
    I used to have my home-playing-stuff connected to a switchable multiple plug, so I can switch it all on or off with a single switch. Since I moved to a new home, I have a wall outlet that is switchable with a light switch, which is even more comfortable.
    I can see how the guys in R&D did not see how someone gets upset about this thing not having a switch.
    But I can also see why you guys want ont.

6. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Wait, so if you use Boss with batteries, it turns on the moment you slip them in and stays on until they are depleted??? o_O