1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying DR Fat Beams.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike M., Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Bought a set on Saturday (actually, two sets in case I like them) for my American Standard 5 string Jazz bass. Been playing them for a while now and so far, pretty darned good! One thing I was hoping for was that the tension of the DR's would be the same as the stock Fender strings, of which I found to be very comfortable. They are. So I don't have to go thru a massive re-setting up of everything which is nice.

Got them strung thru the body. Great string to string balance in terms of output and tension. No flop at all on the E or B strings. Nice clear, defined sound. I don't use a lot of treble, just enough to clear it up a little bit. (I like my bass to sound like a bass!) Got the tone knob on the bass about 1/3 open and the treble knob on my GK MB115 at about a 12:00 position. Nice clarity from bottom to top without the "zingy" over kill. Works for me.

One thing though...for lack of a better way to put it, these strings have a bit of a "sticky" feel to them. But they sound great! I'm sure that sticky-ness will smooth out after a while.

So far, very nice. Glad I'm trying them.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They will smooth out after a while.

I had an old Yamaha bass that had Fat Beams on it for about three years, and they still sounded quite good.

3. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I have had DR stainless lo-riders on my American Standard Jazz for two weeks now. I know they are different but they are both stainless steel rounds. I noticed a "sticky" feeling as well. After several playing hours that had gone away now. I think it's just the stainless steel.