Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying for new sound with flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm trying for a new sound with flatwounds.

I have a Peavey Cirrus bass (36" scale) and I currently have nickel roundwounds on it. But I've been listening to alot of old Beatles recordings (well, the latter days anyway, with Paul's Rick and the black tapewounds).

I've also been listening to alot of blues and my band does alot of blues and cover tunes that need that driving, full sound...but not so clanky and bright like the roundwounds give.

I was thinking of even trying Rotosound's black tapewounds (I love the larger sizes of the strings too as my D and G strings are so thin and when I go to them there is some serious drop-off in sound).

I can't find any information as to whether or not those black tapewounds would fit a 36" scale bass (I think they might as I don't believe they have that cloth binding on the ends)...but I'm not sure.

Anybody have any suggestions as to some nice flatwounds that will fit a 36" scale bass? I'd like to try them out for a completely different sound...but I haven't used flatwounds since the mid to late 70's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    There's Rotosound RS88-EL (extended length) tapewounds. Unfortunately, they only come in 4-string sets.

Theres' a fiver set (RS885-LD ~ 65-75-100-115-135) but it's for 34" scales.

D'Addario Chromes (flatwounds) come in 'Super Long Scale' (36'') and
    a low B is available...click.

You could build a Super Long set of Chromes with a fat D & G at
    Just Strings...click.

Chromes are nice...good feel, thump, a little "bite" if need be.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    FYI

Bob at LaBella Strings said that ALL of their strings can be ordered in extra long scale, including their Nylon TapeWound strings.

He said that due to the popularity of long scale basses they do, in fact, manufacture all of the different types of strings in extra long scale too.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I still prefer Roto tapes over LaBella tapes and T/I Acousticores
    over LaBella ABN30's. Yeesh! Those ABN's blow :mad:.

Maybe it was coz a set of LaBella Jamerson flats busted the
    nut on my poor li'l Yammer :( Grrrr. :p.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    notduane, I've used the LaBella tapes for years. Why did you like the Rotos better?

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    My first (singleneck) R/A came with `Bellas. They were
    REALLY nice and suited the R/A well. But I just had ta'
    `speriment (I'm a stringaholic :D ).

So. Let's see...who else makes tapewounds? GHS, Fender,
    and Rotosound. I guess it all came down to the tone I was
    lookin' for from the R/A: kind of an 'airy', 'woody', upright thump.
    The LaBellas were a little too 'zingy' for me. It was close. The
    `Bellas are really strong and have a lotta' presence. But the
    Rotos seemed a little meatier and responded better to touch
    dynamics (IMO!). Also, please remember, all these "experiments"
    were on a piezo only bass.

Then I had ta' go and start futzin' with phosphor-bronze strings :rolleyes:.
    T/I Acousticores! They're in a different dimension. On fretless...
    anything from a muted Jaco-tone to a full on Manring boWWwwrrr,
    rich in highs. Either one great for soloin'.

And lo, the idea for a doubleneck came to pass...:p

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Fender makes a nylon wound that I believe fits a 36" scale.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Fender only makes a Nylon Tapewound for 34" scale basses in 4 string sets only.

This is really getting ridiculous trying to find a set of strings for my Cirrus 5 string.

I can find all the roundwounds I want or need...but try to find some nice flatwounds (specifically the Black Nylon tapewounds) and it's next to impossible.

Unless of course I have them custom made and want to wait until I"m too old to play anymore. :(

I can see it now...I'd order them and then I'd get them when I'm 90 years old and have to dig my Cirrus out of the attic...then try to limber up my arthritic fingers so I can finally play with those strings...of course I'd have to play by myself, because by the time I'd ever get the damn strings, all of my bandmates will have passed on.

This just sucks. :mad:

Thanks to those who've tried to help!

9. Ummmmmmm, don't Peavy Cirrus's have a 35" scale?

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Ummm. No. Peavey says they are 36" scale and the length from the the ball end of the string to the nut is actually 37". Exactly.

But due to some weird conspiracy, string length is a closely guarded industry secret...:D

There is no such thing as short scale, standard scale, long scale or extra long scale as they are all different (even within each category) and do not mean anything relative to actual length.

So those terms are meaningless when buying strings. I have seen "long scale" strings that go anywhere from 34" to 38" actual inches...so buyer beware.

Even the term "36" Scale" for my Peavey Cirrus bass is misleading as it is not truly 36". It's actually 37". I wish the industry had some definable standards regarding this, especially as buying online is so prevalent, where you cannot actually "try before you buy"...or in this case, "Measure before you buy"...because not even the retailers nor manufacturers know the length of their own damn strings or their basses. :mad:

11. TI Jazz Flats come in 36" scale.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Those were one of the ones I was considering.

I'm going to try out the LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds first. I like the heavier gauge D (.070) and G (.060) strings.

Thanks.

13. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Go for the Gold, Pyramid Gold that is.Paul used these way back and still today.