1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trying not to copy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pseudo7, Jun 16, 2007.

1. pseudo7

pseudo7

May 6, 2007
    I bought a flea bass (cheaper from usa) and now am having upgrade my amp.

The problem being i have been looking at Gallien-Krueger stuff:
    1001rb-||
    410rbh (4ohm)

However i discovered flea uses these in his setup as well, and i really don't want to copy him. Although i like his bass work , i bought the flea bass as everyone said buy it if you have the money and it is the cheapest modulus (or close) and it is nice!

Can anybody recommend me an amp head and cabinet that is capable of greater than 600 watts (comfortably overcome a loud drummer). I have a budget of about £1100 (aprox. $2150). I guess i am going for a rock/funk sound, punchy.

Or

Should i just buy the gallien-krueger stuff as no-one will judge me as a flea copy.

Please help i'm pretty much an amp newbie, and i don't have any store within about 100 miles of me that stock (or allow you to play) any nice big amps. I'll worry about finding them once i have my heart set on one!

Thank You

Thank You

Umm... Thanks

2. If you want GK, get GK.

Just because some other guy uses it doesn't mean you will sound anything like him. This goes for anyone trying to be someone just as much as anyone trying NOT to sound like someone.

Other than that...

The Thunderfunk is what I think you should look into. While I don't have enough experience with GK to say it myself, I have read a few GK fans say the T-funk was like a GK on steroids...

3. pseudo7

pseudo7

May 6, 2007
    thanks looking into them now

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Go 1001RB II and 4x12 Neo. I would if I had the money.

Flea uses 2001RB with 8 ohm 4x10 RBH and 1x15 RBH. So I'd hardly call what you were looking at as copying.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Get what you want. You could have the exact same setup (bass, strings, cord, amp, everything) and still not sound anything like him. The most important part of his/your/my sound is in the hands.

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I wouldn't put too much thought into the copying Flea thing. If it is convenient for you to get the same equipment he uses and satisfies your tonal needs, then don't hesitate.

Afterall, there are worse bass players you could be copying...the guy is brilliant.

7. Your budget of £1100 does not equate to $2150, as things are cheaper in the states (generally) .

Id recommend looking used, with whatever you end up going for.

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    "Should i just buy the gallien-krueger stuff as no-one will judge me as a flea copy."

Sounds logical here at TB, but in the REAL world; nobody will know or care what you're playing.

How many people at the bar/nightclub/Holiday Inn know who Flea is? Most likely only you and another Bass player (if there is one) in the audience.

Buy what YOU like, then go practice...

"I MEAN ALL OF YOU HERE ON TB; GO PRACTICE! NOW!!!"

I will soon, but "The Godfather" is on TV right now........ :D :bag:

Mike

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021